Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Major problems with G1 after installing CM 6 (RC1 & RC3)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Deozaan

Deozaan
  • Members
  • 7 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    G1
  • CM Version:
    CM 6
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:17 PM

Hi folks,

I've been using CM for quite some time to get Android 1.6 on my phone and was thrilled when I checked back recently to find CM 6 RC1 to enable Android 2.2 for the lowly G1.

I followed all update instructions and everything seemed to work fine. And indeed it did work kind of well for a while. RC1 was very sluggish. The camera app always force closed (on second thought, maybe that was CM5 that did that). And the system was unstable and would occasionally force close various things.

Then I upgraded to RC3 and was happy that I could now use the camera, but lots of other things are going wrong lately.

One of the major problems that started with RC1 and persists with RC3 is the battery has been out of whack. The instructions said something about how wiping the phone would unsynchronize the battery or something along those lines so it would appear to drain really fast but then it would last a long time on the lower percentages. And that if I just let it fully discharge the first time then it would synch and show the correct battery percentage.

Indeed, it at first did seem to go down to something like 15% battery but then lasted some time and finally died. But it still is terrible! And it seems to have gotten worse since I installed RC3.

Now it can be fully charged and I can take it off the charger to talk on it for only 15 minutes and it will be down to 50%.

Or one time it was fully charged and I took it off the charger and used it in my car (my car's cigarette lighters don't work so I can't use a car charger) for navigation for 20 minutes and died. And when I turned it back on it died again before finishing booting. I really needed it because I didn't know where I was going, so I pulled out my netbook and plugged it into the USB port to give it some juice and when it finished booting it said the battery was at 75%!

It takes forever to charge, it drains very quickly, and often shuts off in the middle of a call if it's below 30% when I answer the call. And I have a hard time thinking the battery is going bad because it just started when I installed CM6.

And that's just one problem, but probably the most consistent one.

Frequently when I boot it up the home process force closes. The last time it shut off in the middle of a call it hasn't been able to get service. Google Voice force closes all the time. It will sometimes just reboot itself in the middle of whatever. And it will frequently exit itself out of whatever it is doing and go back to the home screen, which gives me the impression that something went wrong and it has to reload the Home process.

Anyway, I don't want to seem like I'm complaining. I'm just really frustrated with all the troubles I'm having when CM in the past has always been awesome. This is really just a big cry for help.

So, HALP! Please! I need my phone to work and be stable most the time. I don't mind paying the price of an occasional glitch due to modding the phone but I need to be able to make calls and have the phone off the charger for more than 3 hours.

#2 yihan

yihan
  • Members
  • 259 posts
    be - Belgium
  • Device Model:
    G1
  • CM Version:
    CM 6 Nightly
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:36 PM

View PostDeozaan, on 26 August 2010 - 08:17 PM, said:

Hi folks,

I've been using CM for quite some time to get Android 1.6 on my phone and was thrilled when I checked back recently to find CM 6 RC1 to enable Android 2.2 for the lowly G1.

I followed all update instructions and everything seemed to work fine. And indeed it did work kind of well for a while. RC1 was very sluggish. The camera app always force closed (on second thought, maybe that was CM5 that did that). And the system was unstable and would occasionally force close various things.

Then I upgraded to RC3 and was happy that I could now use the camera, but lots of other things are going wrong lately.

One of the major problems that started with RC1 and persists with RC3 is the battery has been out of whack. The instructions said something about how wiping the phone would unsynchronize the battery or something along those lines so it would appear to drain really fast but then it would last a long time on the lower percentages. And that if I just let it fully discharge the first time then it would synch and show the correct battery percentage.

Indeed, it at first did seem to go down to something like 15% battery but then lasted some time and finally died. But it still is terrible! And it seems to have gotten worse since I installed RC3.

Now it can be fully charged and I can take it off the charger to talk on it for only 15 minutes and it will be down to 50%.

Or one time it was fully charged and I took it off the charger and used it in my car (my car's cigarette lighters don't work so I can't use a car charger) for navigation for 20 minutes and died. And when I turned it back on it died again before finishing booting. I really needed it because I didn't know where I was going, so I pulled out my netbook and plugged it into the USB port to give it some juice and when it finished booting it said the battery was at 75%!

It takes forever to charge, it drains very quickly, and often shuts off in the middle of a call if it's below 30% when I answer the call. And I have a hard time thinking the battery is going bad because it just started when I installed CM6.

And that's just one problem, but probably the most consistent one.

Frequently when I boot it up the home process force closes. The last time it shut off in the middle of a call it hasn't been able to get service. Google Voice force closes all the time. It will sometimes just reboot itself in the middle of whatever. And it will frequently exit itself out of whatever it is doing and go back to the home screen, which gives me the impression that something went wrong and it has to reload the Home process.

Anyway, I don't want to seem like I'm complaining. I'm just really frustrated with all the troubles I'm having when CM in the past has always been awesome. This is really just a big cry for help.

So, HALP! Please! I need my phone to work and be stable most the time. I don't mind paying the price of an occasional glitch due to modding the phone but I need to be able to make calls and have the phone off the charger for more than 3 hours.
wipe: fastboot erase system -w or use rom manager.
Install one of those instead of old RC's: http://mirror.kanged...dream_sapphire/

#3 I Shadow 51 I

I Shadow 51 I
  • Members
  • 4 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC Vision (T-Mobile G2)
  • CM Version:
    CM-7.0.2
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:41 PM

For the battery problem i would check and make sure it is not the battery it self that has gone bad here is a forum talking about some battery issues people have had in cm 6 http://forum.cyanoge...attery-bug-rc3/ and you have to remember CM 6 is still experimental so there will be issues if the issues are leaving you phone in operable I would say go to cm 5 for now and wait for a stable cm 6 release or the next RC

#4 Homncruse

Homncruse
  • Members
  • 56 posts
  • Twitter:homncruse
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    G2x
  • CM Version:
    CM7.1 RC1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:42 PM

You might have a rogue app or two that's eating up all your battery too. Did you do a full factory reset?

#5 Deozaan

Deozaan
  • Members
  • 7 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    G1
  • CM Version:
    CM 6
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:18 PM

View Postyihan, on 26 August 2010 - 08:36 PM, said:

wipe: fastboot erase system -w or use rom manager.
Install one of those instead of old RC's: http://mirror.kanged...dream_sapphire/

Please forgive my ignorance. I've searched "fastboot" and can't find anything that makes sense to me on how to install it, or even what it is. I downloaded an exe for Windows but I don't see how that will help my phone, plus it won't work because it says it's missing a DLL.

Oddly my phone's rom manager isn't working the way it used to anymore. It used to bring up a menu and I could select things like install from archive or NANDroid backup, etc, but now when I start up the phone holding Home it just shows a triangle with an exclamation mark in it with a phone below it.

If I boot holding down the camera button it brings up a red, green, blue, and white screen that says:

DREA100 PVT 32B
HBOOT-0.95.0000
CPLD-4
RADIO-1.22.12.29

Sep 2 2008

Serial0

I should tell you that when I tried booting it this way the first time it asked me if I wanted to install DREAIMG.nbh and I accidentally pressed yes, which seems to have put my phone back to "Vanilla" Android 1.0. But now when I boot using holding the camera button all it shows on the hboot screen is what I posted above.

Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

View PostI Shadow 51 I, on 26 August 2010 - 08:41 PM, said:

For the battery problem i would check and make sure it is not the battery it self that has gone bad here is a forum talking about some battery issues people have had in cm 6 http://forum.cyanoge...attery-bug-rc3/ and you have to remember CM 6 is still experimental so there will be issues if the issues are leaving you phone in operable I would say go to cm 5 for now and wait for a stable cm 6 release or the next RC

It seems strange that so many people are suddenly having issues with their battery after installing CM6. Yeah, my battery looks a little bulged, but it was working perfectly fine until CM6.

View PostHomncruse, on 26 August 2010 - 08:42 PM, said:

You might have a rogue app or two that's eating up all your battery too. Did you do a full factory reset?

I did a full wipe as per the instructions on the install wiki, so I think so.

#6 Homncruse

Homncruse
  • Members
  • 56 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    G2x
  • CM Version:
    CM7.1 RC1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:43 PM

View PostDeozaan, on 26 August 2010 - 11:18 PM, said:

Please forgive my ignorance. I've searched "fastboot" and can't find anything that makes sense to me on how to install it, or even what it is. I downloaded an exe for Windows but I don't see how that will help my phone, plus it won't work because it says it's missing a DLL.

fastboot is an adjacent EXE to adb, included with the Android SDK tools package. Don't worry about your ignorance, we all started that way at some point, and at least you're aware of it enough to acknowledge it and express it sufficiently and elegantly. Proper grammar goes a long way.

Oddly my phone's rom manager isn't working the way it used to anymore. It used to bring up a menu and I could select things like install from archive or NANDroid backup, etc, but now when I start up the phone holding Home it just shows a triangle with an exclamation mark in it with a phone below it.

Do you mean recovery, not ROM Manager? ROM Manager is an app included with CM6 and also available on the Market. It's a GUI which overlays the custom recovery image so that you can use it from within the OS. If your custom recovery is screwed, I'm surprised your phone still works. I'm not visualizing that icon well, so maybe it's not screwed and I'm just not understanding it.

If I boot holding down the camera button it brings up a red, green, blue, and white screen that says:

DREA100 PVT 32B
HBOOT-0.95.0000
CPLD-4
RADIO-1.22.12.29

Sep 2 2008

Serial0

That's called "fastboot" operation (as opposed to "recovery" or "OS"), which is the mode you'll want to be in to use the fastboot EXE from the Android SDK and to use the command given to you earlier.

I should tell you that when I tried booting it this way the first time it asked me if I wanted to install DREAIMG.nbh and I accidentally pressed yes, which seems to have put my phone back to "Vanilla" Android 1.0. But now when I boot using holding the camera button all it shows on the hboot screen is what I posted above.

Technically that was Android 1.5, not 1.0 ;) Depending on the method you used to root your phone initially, that should be a familiar step. It means you never removed the DREAIMG.nbh from your SD card.

It seems strange that so many people are suddenly having issues with their battery after installing CM6. Yeah, my battery looks a little bulged, but it was working perfectly fine until CM6.

Can't say I've had any battery problems. In fact, my battery seems to be lasting longer than stock.

Edited by Homncruse, 26 August 2010 - 11:44 PM.

#7 Deozaan

Deozaan
  • Members
  • 7 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    G1
  • CM Version:
    CM 6
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:07 AM

Thank you for the very helpful response!

View PostHomncruse, on 26 August 2010 - 11:43 PM, said:

fastboot is an adjacent EXE to adb, included with the Android SDK tools package. Don't worry about your ignorance, we all started that way at some point, and at least you're aware of it enough to acknowledge it and express it sufficiently and elegantly. Proper grammar goes a long way.
So what you're saying is that I need to get the Android SDK to in order to get adb which is required to run Fastboot.exe from the fastboot/hboot menu thingy?

Do you mean recovery, not ROM Manager? ROM Manager is an app included with CM6 and also available on the Market. It's a GUI which overlays the custom recovery image so that you can use it from within the OS. If your custom recovery is screwed, I'm surprised your phone still works. I'm not visualizing that icon well, so maybe it's not screwed and I'm just not understanding it.
Yep I meant recovery. I found this from the Wiki (bold added for emphasis):

ADP1 1.6 official recovery
(4.2 only)If you accidentally let the HTC recovery boot, it will attempt (and probably succeed) to replace your nice shiny CM-1.4 recovery.img with the default HTC ADP1 recovery. You'd see /!\ when booting with home held down. Of course, HTC doesn't let you install custom ROMs, so you'll have to get the custom recovery back. See RE-recovery-img if this happens.
So I guess I'll just follow steps from there to get the Amon_RA recovery back on my phone.

That's called "fastboot" operation (as opposed to "recovery" or "OS"), which is the mode you'll want to be in to use the fastboot EXE from the Android SDK and to use the command given to you earlier.

Okay now I know. Booting the phone like normal is "OS", booting with HOME pressed is recovery, and booting with the camera is fastboot. I didn't have to download the SDK and use fastboot.exe before, so I guess I don't understand why I need to now. But I'm working on that now so hopefully that will make it easier to follow the instructions in the future.

And looking at the files on the SD card, I may have been mixing up RC1 with CM5 and RC3 with RC1. In other words, I don't think I ever got around to installing RC3 on my phone yet. I had barely found out about and installed CM5 on my phone when RC1 came out and I got tired of the camera force closing all the time on CM5 so I upgraded to CM6 RC1 and then a few days later RC3 came out but I don't think I ever installed it. So I'll give RC3 a try and see if that fixes most of my force close issues.

I compared my battery to the one in my wife's unmodded G1 that we both got at the same time and hers is not bulging at all. So I guess I'm in the market for a new battery. I'm still wondering if perhaps there is something in CM6 RC1 that somehow disables the ability for the phone to stop absorbing electricity into the battery when it's plugged in for long periods of time. I don't even know if that's possible but I swear my battery was fine until CM6 RC1. Odd coincidence that it became unreliable exactly when I installed CM6, but these things do happen.

I think I should be able to figure it out from here, but I've got three quick questions:

1. Do you recommend going with the nightly builds or should I stick with the "more stable" RC3?
2. When I installed DangerSPL it asked me what size to format something but the instructions don't indicate what size. I didn't know what was appropriate and I wanted to make sure to give my phone enough space, so I gave it 1GB of my SD card. But I've seen something in a few places talking about a 96MB ext2 (?) so did I go way overboard? What size should I format it to for good performance and any extras or whatever? I have an 8 GB microSD card in my phone and I don't fill it with music or anything, so I have space to spare if needed, but if 96MB is more than or equal to all I'll ever need, there's no sense in letting that 900MB go to waste.
3. Is there somewhere to find what kind of replacement battery would be good for my phone? This thread has several people talking about getting replacements but nobody said what kind.

Thanks again you've been a splendid help!

#8 hapa

hapa
  • Members
  • 440 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC Vision (T-Mobile G2)
  • CM Version:
    V7.1.0-RC1 (26 June 2011)
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:00 AM

View PostDeozaan, on 27 August 2010 - 08:07 AM, said:

Thank you for the very helpful response!

So what you're saying is that I need to get the Android SDK to in order to get adb which is required to run Fastboot.exe from the fastboot/hboot menu thingy?

You really don't need Android SDK, it just makes things that much easier; as well as you learning a lot more. Its good to have it as a backup as well, especially when dealing with rooting and modding.

1. Do you recommend going with the nightly builds or should I stick with the "more stable" RC3?
Personally, if you are asking this many questions I would stray away from nightly builds, unless you are really getting the hang of it all. They tend to be a little more riskier and unstable from what I have been hearing. But if you want to go "gung-ho" then push it through. Just know the risks first.

2. When I installed DangerSPL it asked me what size to format something but the instructions don't indicate what size. I didn't know what was appropriate and I wanted to make sure to give my phone enough space, so I gave it 1GB of my SD card. But I've seen something in a few places talking about a 96MB ext2 (?) so did I go way overboard? What size should I format it to for good performance and any extras or whatever? I have an 8 GB microSD card in my phone and I don't fill it with music or anything, so I have space to spare if needed, but if 96MB is more than or equal to all I'll ever need, there's no sense in letting that 900MB go to waste.
Personally I am not sure what you mean by this, but when people speak of the ext or swap, that is via partitioning your SD-card, which has its benefits, and from what I have been reading, its flaws for the CM6.0. Commonly linux-swap ranges from 32-98, and ext around 512, giving the rest of your sd card for your phone. There are forums on this, or just google "android sd card partition". You can do all of this in your recovery console (home + end).

3. Is there somewhere to find what kind of replacement battery would be good for my phone? This thread has several people talking about getting replacements but nobody said what kind.

g1-compatible lol  :P

#9 Homncruse

Homncruse
  • Members
  • 56 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    G2x
  • CM Version:
    CM7.1 RC1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 27 August 2010 - 04:53 PM

RC3 is a good all-around bet, as it's actually more supported. My experience with nightlies is that they're usually just as stable as the last RC, but the occasional bugfix here or there is possibly replaced with other, new bugs. However, if you try a nightly and have a bad experience, you can always go back to RC3. Just remember to always run the fix_permissions script when flashing a new ROM if you don't full wipe.

You definitely don't need 1GB for swap. I partitioned my 16GB SD card with 1GB for ext (for apps, not natively supported in CM6 yet, but there are forum threads which tell you how to accomplish it, though I don't recommend it until you're more familiar with your phone), and I think I gave it 256MB for swap, though I didn't know at the time how swap worked with Android, and that's WAY overkill. I actually don't even USE swap at the moment. Different swap settings seem to work differently for everyone. There's no gold standard.

#10 Nauman Ahmed

Nauman Ahmed
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 01:49 PM

hi folks,
i have installed cyanogenmod 6 on my htc g1 (US) and now i am in Pakistan...i have read carefully all instructions and followed them too...its great but i m having only one problem with it i.e sms can't be send...i rooted and installed cyanogenmod 6 on my htc g1 few times but same problem....
please help me...please reply & suggest me something and let me say thanks....