Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Flashing A At&t Skyrocket

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 bgandy

bgandy
  • Members
  • 5 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    SGH-I727
  • CM Version:
    CM9
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:04 PM

I am wanting to install CM9 on my AT&T Skyrocket, but a have a couple of questions after reading through the other posts and the Wiki.

1. The version of CWM in the Wiki is 5.0.2.7.  There is a post in the Skyrocket developer forum that mentions having to use 5.8.1.3, but when I look on the CWM website, the current version is 5.8.4.3.  Which version do I use? I would assume the newest. Also, do I need the Recovery version or the Touch Recovery version?

2. Are there any known issues with using this on the AT&T version of the phone?

3. The Wiki is a little confusing. In the section under Flashing CyanogenMod, there is a note that rooting is required and that the procedure is not listed on the page? I thought that installing CWM would do that for you. Is this correct?

Sorry for the simplistic questions, but I do not want to turn my phone into a useless paperweight.  Thanks for any help.

#2 unni

unni
  • Members
  • 11 posts
    in - India
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S2 i727
  • CM Version:
    CM9
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:14 PM

I was in stock 2.3.6 AT&T till yesterday. This is what i followed to get the CM9 nightly released on 23 into my Skyrocket (i727). Please note that I am a total newbie, and this is the first time I am flashing my Android phone. So, some of these steps may be unnecessary.

Given below is an overview of the steps I followed. If you need any clarification, please post here.

Steps Overview:
Note: The file names in bracket are the ones I downloaded from the links under the 'Followed Links' section.
1. Install CWM 5.0.2.6 using Odin (SkyrocketCWMrecovery.tar).
2. Backup stock firmware. Copy the backup to PC.
3. Root the device (superuser.zip). Reboot.
4. Backup apps using Titanium Backup app.
5. Install CWM 5.8.1.3 (recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.1.3-hercules.tar). To do this, select ‘reboot recovery’ from 5.0.2.6. Hold down vol. up + down to get into download mode. Use Odin to flash 5.8.1.3. This is a must. 5.0.2.6 will cause the device to reboot in a loop with CM9.
6. Install CM9.
First time:
· Wipe data\factory reset
· Format cache
· Format dalvik
· mounts & storage >> format /system
· Install nightly
· Install gapps
· mounts & storage >> format /cache
Subsequent CM9 nightly build upates:
· Format cache
· Format dalvik
· Install nightly

Followed Links:
1. Odin: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1342348
Files: Odin 1.85, Stock TAR for SGH-I727
2. Installing CWM: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1340526
Files: SkyrocketCWMrecovery.tar, superuser.zip
3. CWM 5.8.1.3: http://forum.xda-dev...ht=clockworkmod
Files: recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.1.3-hercules.tar

Also, please go through the following posts as well before you begin.

1. All in one thread: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1383464
2. How to recover to stock firmware: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1342348
3. Cyanogenmod S2 Skyrocket Wiki: http://wiki.cyanogen...ll_Update_Guide

Another important point to remember is regaring Kies PC Suite. It will not work with CM9. So, please make sure that your data is backed up in such a way that it can be restored back to CM9 without using Kies.

I have not experienced any problems till now. I am not sure about one thing though. I saw some posts mentioning that I need to update the radio to something. I haven't done this since I am not sure if it's required.

Regarding your question regarding rooting: Rooting is not necessary. I rooted my stock firmware first so that I can take backup of apps using Titanium Backup.

This is a video I found useful:

Edited by unni, 24 June 2012 - 05:37 PM.

#3 bgandy

bgandy
  • Members
  • 5 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    SGH-I727
  • CM Version:
    CM9
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:34 PM

I have installed CWM 1.8.1.3.  I boot into recovery manager but it will not let you select anything.  If you scroll down, it will move down 1 item then reload the recovery manager.  Any ideas?

UPDATE: There is a reason the CWM recovery is a "touch" file........you use the touch screen.  Duh!

Edited by bgandy, 24 June 2012 - 08:00 PM.

#4 unni

unni
  • Members
  • 11 posts
    in - India
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S2 i727
  • CM Version:
    CM9
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:01 PM

Wow! I too faced exactly the same issue. It took me 10 minutes to figure out. To scroll up/down, we need to use the fingers, not the keys. If you touch on any of the items and push it up or down, it will scroll accordingly. Though I have a doubt whether the 10 minutes delay had any effect! :)

Edited by unni, 24 June 2012 - 08:02 PM.

#5 bgandy

bgandy
  • Members
  • 5 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    SGH-I727
  • CM Version:
    CM9
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:39 PM

You have me beat.....took me almost 30 minutes before I saw the word "touch" in the file name.  I was pissed and laughing when it worked.  So far CM9 is working great.  The radio seems to work fine so I don't see a reason to update it. Besides, I could only find zip files for the radio that are the same version I already have.

Thanks for the advice, worked like a charm.

#6 bgandy

bgandy
  • Members
  • 5 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    SGH-I727
  • CM Version:
    CM9
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:38 AM

Is there any reason to update nightlys as they come out?  Or should I wait a few days.

#7 unni

unni
  • Members
  • 11 posts
    in - India
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S2 i727
  • CM Version:
    CM9
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:48 PM

I guess we can decide based on the changelog available in the BBQDroid org website.

Edited by unni, 26 June 2012 - 03:50 PM.

#8 CapnBongToker

CapnBongToker
  • Members
  • 3 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Skyrocket
  • CM Version:
    CM9 Nightly
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:55 PM

Keep getting Installation aborted....Im following directions carefully,  I was using the newest nightly release.....any tips?

#9 bgandy

bgandy
  • Members
  • 5 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    SGH-I727
  • CM Version:
    CM9
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:14 AM

During what step did you get that message?

#10 TheDiddler

TheDiddler
  • Members
  • 145 posts
    ca - Canada
  • Device Model:
    SGH-i727R
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod 10.2
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:11 PM

I just want to confirm what steps we would need to go through to update CM9 nightly builds. According to one of the posts above, we would have to:

· Format cache
· Format dalvik
· Install nightly

I am just curious what information we would lose when we format cache and dalvik, or is it all good and nothing gets lost?

#11 TheHunter

TheHunter
  • Members
  • 17 posts
    ca - Canada
  • Device Model:
    SGH-I727R
  • CM Version:
    CM10.1 RC1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:38 AM

nothing would be lost. that is the correct upgrade sequence

#12 npentell

npentell
  • Members
  • 4 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    sgh-i727
  • CM Version:
    stock
  • Recovery Image:
    Stock

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:44 PM

I'm having some major issues. I have been reading and trying everything for days and im sure this is something simple or a step I am just missing but some help would be greatly appreciated.  I have the sgh-i727 with 5.8.1.3-hercules on it and super user with the I727UCLD2 as well. I have tried every which way and clockwork version and cyanogen version I can find on the internet and can not get this thing to go on there.  I worked with 9 last and seem to get an error no matter what methods I try.  here is the last method i have attempted:

Installed UCLD2
used odin to put on ClockworkMod Recovery v5.8.1.3
put on Superuser-3.0.3.2-efghi-signed through Clockwork
booted up phone and updated bianaries in Super User
downloaded and copied cyanogen mod 9 and gapps to the phone
rebooted in Clockwork and wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition, and wipe dalvik cache
install cm-9.0.0-galaxy2.zip
I get a lot of info and all but the bottom half gets covered up by the clockwork menu when it pops back up but here is what I can see:
P" l l getprop("ro.build.product"
) == "GT-19100P ll getpr
op("ro.product.device") == "GT-I
9100T" ll getprop("ro.build.prod
uct) == "GT-I1900T"
E:Error in /sdcard/cm-9.0.0-gala
xy2.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

I even tried the cm-7.2.0-galaxy2att.zip and get mostly the same thing except it starts out assert failed and has SGH-I777 as the model number instead os the gt-i1900t.  I have checked the sticked on my phone multiple times to make sure im not crazy and it's a sgh-i727 and I have tried going back to stock firmware many times, tried different versions of the clockwork and even tried different computers.  I am lost.  Can one of you guys/girls that's smarter than me help me out before I pull out all my hair?.  Thanks soo much.

#13 TheDiddler

TheDiddler
  • Members
  • 145 posts
    ca - Canada
  • Device Model:
    SGH-i727R
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod 10.2
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:56 PM

I used:
Odin v1.85
recovery-clockwork-TOUCH-5.8.1.3-hercules.tar
superuser-3.07-efghi-signed.zip

Try reflashing with those files^
If you want these files, I'll upload them, but they aren't too hard to find.

#14 npentell

npentell
  • Members
  • 4 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    sgh-i727
  • CM Version:
    stock
  • Recovery Image:
    Stock

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:49 PM

I used the same files except for the superuser version.  I will give it a try in a min and report back.  Thanks.

#15 npentell

npentell
  • Members
  • 4 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    sgh-i727
  • CM Version:
    stock
  • Recovery Image:
    Stock

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:55 PM

No luck trying it wth superuser-3.07-efghi-signed.zip, any other ideas? Thanks

#16 onealvideo

onealvideo
  • Members
  • 138 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
  • CM Version:
    CM10 Alpha 3
  • Recovery Image:
    Other

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:50 AM

You need to get the correct CWMR for the Skyrocket latest version is up to 6.0.1.2 as well as the  correct rom zip. The Galaxy 2 is not the same thing as a Skyrocket.  The Hercules is not (exactly) the same thing as a Skyrocket... Goto XDA-Developers forum and head to the Noob guide... all the files you need are there...

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1785999

:)

#17 npentell

npentell
  • Members
  • 4 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    sgh-i727
  • CM Version:
    stock
  • Recovery Image:
    Stock

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:12 PM

Prooblem solved.  Thanks for all the help.  Every time I put sgh-i727 cyanogen mod the link I got everywhere had me download the one that had galaxy2 at the end.  Even when you go to the cyanogen page, there isn't a device for skyrocket. Only the Galaxy II.  Lastly, when I went to the instructions for the skyrocket there is a link to get the lastest version and when you click it, it brings you to mod 7 not 9 and all the galaxy's are listed but no skyrocket. So when I saw Samsung Galaxy S II (AT&T) in the list, i assumed it had to be it.  Annnnnnyway. I searched the net and someone had a zip of 9 for the skyrocket.  I don't know where they got it but it worked and i'm in business.  Thanks again for the help.

#18 onealvideo

onealvideo
  • Members
  • 138 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
  • CM Version:
    CM10 Alpha 3
  • Recovery Image:
    Other

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:50 PM

You bet.  I figured when i saw what you were installnig as a rom GalaxyS2, you would find your way.  The reason why it is not in the devices list is because the Skyrocket was rushed to the Stable status after CM10 came out.  There is a code freeze on CM9 so there are still things that are broken still... Its just part of the process....

Be VERY CAREFUL when flashing inappropriate or incomplete roms.... You could corrupt things that would require you to go all the way back to ODIN or worse yet, require a JIG to unbrick your device.

You mentioned you flashed some random rom from the internet.  Keep in mind that it could be modified to do things you don't want done...keylog what you do, steal bank info, get username and passwords from the browser, etc...

Very dangerous... most things on the XDA Developers Forum are fine but ask around and go slow....

Go to the link that I provided and install the OFFICIAL CM9.  That is my recommendation...

Good Luck!

#19 TheDiddler

TheDiddler
  • Members
  • 145 posts
    ca - Canada
  • Device Model:
    SGH-i727R
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod 10.2
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:01 PM

This is the official page for our device so I'm not sure what you mean by our device isn't there: http://get.cm/?device=skyrocket

#20 onealvideo

onealvideo
  • Members
  • 138 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
  • CM Version:
    CM10 Alpha 3
  • Recovery Image:
    Other

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:10 PM

That is the get.cm page.  I believe what he was saying is he clicked GalaxyS2 from the home page of devices on cyanogenmod.com

http://www.cyanogenmod.com/devices

He was on the wrong path at that point.  The get.cm page you refer to is the correct one.  Since they moved Skyrocket to Stable, it should be listed on the devices page, but has not been updated there. (probably because its not really a complete rom.... but maybe they will put it on the devices page...)