Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

New To Nook

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Karen35

Karen35
  • Members
  • 15 posts
    uk - United Kingdom
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:43 AM

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and new to the Nook device. My husband brought me a Nook color a few weeks ago, and if possible I would like to use CyanogenMod. I have no clue on what i need or how to install it, only that i should use an SD card. I have looked through this forum but i am more confused than when i started. Could someone point me in the right direction with baby steps if possible. If i have made a mistake posting this please except my apologies.

#2 meteorrock

meteorrock

Nook Color Devs

• Donators
  • 1012 posts
  • Twitter:#!/cyanogen
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook color
  • CM Version:
    CM-11 - UNOFFICAL - encore | Kitkat | Android 4.4
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:59 AM

Hi Karen. The simplest method I have found is to put cyanogenMod on the SD card. When I first rooted the nook color last year I found this youtube channel the easiest to follow and understand for beginners. Here is the first part of the video. She has 5 parts to this video so you will have to follow up at her youtube channel here, this forum will not let me post all of the video links. Her channel is here though. http://www.youtube.com/user/anamardoll

~~~~~~~~~~All of her videos are now included further down this thread.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

" "Posted Image

Here is the latest cyanogenMod 7.2 stable for you. This link will open up the download for you straight to your computer.  http://mirror.sea.td....0-encore.zip�� This is a .zip file so you will have to unzip it. I use the program "Winrar" on my Windows 7 OS. The link for Winrar can be found here. There is two versions I will give. One is for 32 Bit windows here. http://www.rarlab.co...r/wrar420.exe�� And for the 64 bit Windows found here. http://www.rarlab.co...rar-x64-420.exe

Keep in mind the links she uses for the .gapps file, which you will need also to access the android "playstore" is outdated in those videos. The latest .gapps file for cyanogenmod 7 and their builds can be found here at this link. Dont use the link for the .gapps file she gives, its out of date. http://forum.cyanoge...kage-available/

You will have to download a program which she uses in the above videos called "WinImage" to make your SD card into a boot card. WinImage can be found here. This is assuming you are using a Windows OS. This link is for the 32 bit version. http://www.winimage....ad/winima85.exe

And here is the link for "WinImage" for the 64 bit Windows OS version. http://www.winimage....ad/wima6485.exe

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The boot card file is here at this link for you. It is called the "generic-sdcard-v1.3.img.gz"  http://rapidlibrary....feezmi89on.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~All other methods on her videos applies to get you started.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted Image

If you are looking to put CM9 on your nook, keep in mind those builds are still being worked on and in beta, which means they have bugs in them still that need to be worked out. If you want to use CM9 though you can follow up on XDA here for a look. http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1526115

Keep XDA in mind for the nook color, they are always doing something interesting up there if you want to follow along. There link up in XDA nook color is here. http://forum.xda-dev...splay.php?f=860

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good luck and if you have any more questions after checking out those videos, I will check back on this thread tomorrow for you. Watch carefully on how she uses that "WinImage" program, the menu selection she uses, LOTS of people get hung up on making a SD card into a boot.

Posted Image

#3 Karen35

Karen35
  • Members
  • 15 posts
    uk - United Kingdom
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:01 PM

Thank you so much meteorrock, i followed the videos and your step by step, but for some reason i cannot get WinImage to see my SD card. I looked around for an alternative and found this, win32diskimager. This does see my SD card but not sure if this will work.

#4 meteorrock

meteorrock

Nook Color Devs

• Donators
  • 1012 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:11 PM

Win32diskimager is another great tool. I personally have never used that tool but if it works for you , I would go with it.

There is another easy method that others report works well for them also, where they use verygreens method on an SD card. You can find out how its done in this link here. http://forum.xda-dev...t=verygreens sd

Posted Image

#5 meteorrock

meteorrock

Nook Color Devs

• Donators
  • 1012 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:14 PM

Win32diskimager is another great tool. I personally have never used that tool but if it works for you , I would go with it.  

There is another easy method that others report works well for them also, where they use verygreens method on an SD card. You can find out how its done in this link here. http://forum.xda-dev...t=verygreens sd

LOL and the forum double posted my response! Good luck. If you need any more help I will check back on this thread here tomorrow.

Posted Image

#6 ReCat

ReCat
  • Members
  • 41 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    Whatever's latest...
  • Recovery Image:
    Stock

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:23 AM

Why do you append random images to your posts? O_o

#7 meteorrock

meteorrock

Nook Color Devs

• Donators
  • 1012 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:29 AM

It helps draw interest to the project for the developers. Its basic marketing strategy. People want images so we give them what they want. You do know I am a freelancer here being paid by samsung? Its in my profile. Otherwords I was told to.  The nook color is the flagship for cyanogenmod according to outside interests. Keep in mind some top players are watching the progress here. Check us out on XDA for the nook color here. http://forum.xda-dev...splay.php?f=860

Phoenix Rising is getting a small cut from me to help boost development as outside interests are wanting ICS up and going before fall for the nook color.

Posted Image

#8 Karen35

Karen35
  • Members
  • 15 posts
    uk - United Kingdom
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:21 PM

Guys i am not sure what is going on, i have followed all the steps but i am hitting a problem. When it gets to the android guy on the skateboard, it just sits there with the animation going on and on.

I have all the right files, done all the right steps.

1. Wrote to the SD card with (generic-sdcard-v1.3.img)
2. Ejected then reinserted the SD
3. Copied over (update-cm-7.2.0-encore) alone with (gapps-gb-20110828-signed)
4. Put SD in Nook and booted.

It gets to the little guy on the skateboard and that's where it sits. I have tried just (cm-7.2.0-encore) same thing, tried (update-cm-7.1.0-encore-signed) and (cm-7.1.0-encore-signed) still the same problem. I just dont understand what i am doing wrong.

My Nook is a Color with 1.4.3
With a HC Class 10 16GB.

#9 meteorrock

meteorrock

Nook Color Devs

• Donators
  • 1012 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:58 AM

Usually that means you did something wrong with making the SD card into a boot card. You will have to partition that card with the boot files and the Cyanogenmod image files separate from each other. The .gapps file and the Cyanogenmod image files go onto the ROOT of your SD card. Go ahead and reformat that card again and then start over from scratch. Dismount the card and reboot your nook back into recovery by holding in the N button and the power button for a few seconds until the nook color turns itself all the way off. Its stubborn to do so you might need to try a few times. Make sure its powered off all the way off on the screen and not so slightly backlit, check it in a dark room if you need to. THEN power back on and your back into the stock nook ROM.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That is why I was trying to recommend that program "WinImage" for you, it does this in the program for you. If you are using the win32disk Imager program you will need to partition the card on your Windows OS or  pick up another tool to partition that SD card. Here is a link for doing it on windows. http://www.howtogeek...-windows-vista/

I would make the first partition as small as you can just to fit in the boot card files , then put the Cyanogenmod image files along with the .gapps file on the ROOT of your SD card. Then you will use that "win32 disk imager" to mount the image file on the big partition on the SD Card.

Then you will need another boot card with Clockworkmod on it in recovery mode to finish mounting that cyanogenmod image file onto the nook. So you will need at least 2 SD cards for the method you want to use with win32disk imager.  OR you can use the manual recovery mode in the youtube video below to FINISH mounting that image file.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For an easier method though Karen I would take another look at those videos and try to get "WinImage" working on your computer. Or use Verygreens method in this link here which elimates some of those steps above. http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1000957

Remember to use gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip file found here for her 4th video instead of the one she gives in the above video here. This .gapps is for the CM 7.2 only. Newer CM 10 builds use a different .gapps file. http://forum.cyanoge...kage-available/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted Image

#10 Karen35

Karen35
  • Members
  • 15 posts
    uk - United Kingdom
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:58 AM

I just want to say thank you very much for helping me, it's very appreciated, thank you. I got WinImage to see my SD card, followed all the instructions again, but it's still looping on the skateboard intimation. I just don't know what i am doing wrong. So i think i will give up and stop with the original nook software. Again thank you very much for your help Meteorrock.

#11 neubtrino

neubtrino
  • Donators
  • 16 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    CM10.1
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:24 AM

I am new to Android, and to using the excellent work of the Cyanogen(mod) team on the Nook Color.  However, I have successfully used the instructions found here  http://taosaur.blogs...om-sd-nook.html   to prepare several Micro SD Cards for use with the NC.  In each case, I used Win32diskimager to burn the disk image onto the uSD Card, and had no need to alter the partitions on the card.

Karen, if you are still having problems, I suggest you give the procedure from taosaur a try.

#12 Karen35

Karen35
  • Members
  • 15 posts
    uk - United Kingdom
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:29 PM

finally, everything is installed and working great. My sister came and sorted it out for me, it turns out that there was a problem with my 16GB SD card. We tried it on an 8GB card and it worked the very first time. The strange thing is, the problem 16GB card works great with normal use. Anyway, i want to thank you all for you help, thank you very much.

#13 meteorrock

meteorrock

Nook Color Devs

• Donators
  • 1012 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:51 PM

Glad to see you up and going Karen. Yeaaaa ;=) Come back for a visit sometime ok? We will always be here for you. :3

Here is the last video here for anyone interested.

Posted Image

#14 Karen35

Karen35
  • Members
  • 15 posts
    uk - United Kingdom
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:18 PM

Oh i sure will, i really like this Cyanogen 7, so much better than the standard Nook lol. My sister said about CM9, but that's to early for me lol. I want to enjoy what i have now. I cant believe how different my Nook is now, sorry just so excited lol. Thanks again for your help.

#15 InYuco

InYuco
  • Members
  • 3 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color 1.4.3
  • CM Version:
    Stock ROM
  • Recovery Image:
    Stock

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:14 AM

hi all, i am new here. but my wife just got a nook color and it is version 1.4.3. I loaded everything to the sd card right, but when i boot up the nook it just boots back into the b&n stock rom software. I have not rooted or done anything to this nook. any suggestions?

#16 meteorrock

meteorrock

Nook Color Devs

• Donators
  • 1012 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:00 AM

If you put cyanogenMod on the card correctly it should boot up into cyanogenMod when you have the nook color off and insert the card and power it back on. Did you partition your microSD card with the boot image files on one partition and cyanogenMod on the other partition? The above videos go through on how that is done with the program "WinImage" if you are using a Windows OS. Watch those videos above carefully on how she does it on that program.

Posted Image

#17 gwmadrigal

gwmadrigal
  • Members
  • 5 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HP Touchpad
  • CM Version:
    cm-9-20120819-NIGHTLY-tenderloin.zip
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:28 AM

I installed today an app called nook tweaks. This app allows to improve the volume of the tablet, enables the USB port to connect to other devices and allows to overclock the CPU which significantly improves a lot of the lags. I also learned about Bluetooth capabilities that are hidden in this device because bn did not enable them. With cm 7... you can enable
Bluetooth and it will work, but because of antenna issues in the hardware, the Bluetooth works only in very close proximity. 1 or 2 feet Max.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk 2

#18 msyu

msyu
  • Members
  • 5 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    CM10-12-12-5
  • Recovery Image:
    Other

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

Hi Meteorrock & CM team,

I've a problem finish the mission. My Keep poping up this message "Unfortunately, Android keyboard(AOSP) has stopped." everytime I try to use something that need a keyboard or tap on any apps it pop up randomly but it go's away quick (for only touching apps) But it sometimes go away quick for keyboard needs. Oh and sometimes it popup randomly (wake up nook, turn on, and so on)

Files I used:
  • generic-sdcard-v1.3-CM7-9-10-larger-Rev5.img
  • cm-10-20121204-NIGHTLY-encore.zip
  • gapps-jb-20121130-signed.zip
Brand New Sandisk Ultra MicroSD Class 10

everything loads fine  that i know of. Wifi able to search but you know can't use keyboard so cannot verify connect to interent.

How do I reformat the SD card into normal? I reformat in window 7 and it stays at 300mb for 32gb SDcard.

Edited by msyu, 05 December 2012 - 10:20 PM.

#19 meteorrock

meteorrock

Nook Color Devs

• Donators
  • 1012 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:20 AM

Before redoing your build you have on the SIM card for cyanogenMod CM 10, I want you to go into the apps options for this build and clear the caches for the AOSP keyboard. You should find it in the Options for CM 10. It will be under the ALL tab under "input devices." Push the force stop and choose to clear the caches for that app. This will help clear up allot of problems for apps that have hung up and stopped responding for you.

Also reboot your nook.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Recheck your mounting software, you got your partitions on the SIM card turned around. You just put the boot files on the small partition and the large partition you put the Cyanogenmod image file, the build zipped file, along with your .gapps. I use WinImage, check this thread here with youtube videos on how to do this with this program. In this thread here I helped someone else here get up and going, the thread is quite lengthy, it applies to upgrading from 7.1 to CM 7.2, but it will apply for your CM 10 build on properly partitioning your SIM card. http://forum.cyanoge...-72-on-sd-card/

#20 XLR8URLYF

XLR8URLYF
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Twitter:@schmapple_cat
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    n/a
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

Happy New Year!

I am having the same problem as msyu: same error message. I successfully flashed the Cyanogenmod10 a little while ago (using the video instructions step by step with some checking of taosaur's directions) but after my NC started up I got messages flashing (same message as msyu). I tried force stopping the AOSP app (clearing cache was grey, not an option) but it kept starting again. After several "force stops" I tried rebooting a couple of times but it's still the same.

Here is what I've used:

generic-sdcard-v1.3-ICS-large-Rev3
cm-10-20121231-NIGHTLY-encore.zip
gapps-jb-20121212-signed.zip

Brand spanking new Class 4 Sandisk 32gb microsd card with Sandisk adapter

If the solution is partitioning or something like that, I'm going to need detailed (i.e. advanced beginner) instructions. I've flashed new roms to my gtablet but this is new to me. Or, if I'm better off taking the microsd card out and starting over, please let me know. I was having problems with my laptop's card reader so I'd like to avoid the frustration, but I'll go there if need be. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!