Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Supersu Instead Of Superuser

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jezz_X

Jezz_X
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:21 AM

Is there any reason why superuser is used over supersu (cm10) ? I find that supersu is a better app for jelly bean and doesn't seem to have issues like superuser does for example Better Battery Stats never seems to get remembered by superuser and yet supersu has no issues at all.  SuperSU even has a few more options that seem to be better for security like re-ask if a apps apk changes and only allow once.

Is it because its not open source so it can't be built in by default ?

Anyway food for thought and would be nice to get an official answer
and just for reference the play store link https://play.google....ainfire.supersu

#2 onealvideo

onealvideo
  • Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:20 AM

I have experienced that as well.  SuperSU is the new version from Chainfire v.095... It rocks!

#3 AbsoluteZero

AbsoluteZero

Droid Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1542 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:07 AM

View PostJezz_X, on 24 August 2012 - 12:21 AM, said:

Is there any reason why superuser is used over supersu (cm10) ?

Is it because its not open source so it can't be built in by default ?
In short, yes

#4 Jezz_X

Jezz_X
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:36 PM

Thanks for the answer and I may be just dreaming here but Rom Manager isn't open source either right? yet it gets shipped by default

Edited by Jezz_X, 28 August 2012 - 11:46 PM.

#5 AbsoluteZero

AbsoluteZero

Droid Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1542 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:57 PM

View PostJezz_X, on 28 August 2012 - 11:36 PM, said:

Thanks for the answer and I may be just dreaming here but Rom Manager isn't open source either right? yet it gets shipped by default
While there is an open source SU app (SuperUser as pointed out), there isn't an open source option to perform the functions that RomManager currently does. At the same time, koush (a CM team member) provides a solution which would fill the void.

#6 onealvideo

onealvideo
  • Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:13 PM

While I love the work Koush does, I would recommend you not use Rom Manager on a daily basis... Things just don't go good for newbs when they utilize Rom Manager.  I recommend doing things in recovery... About the only thing I use Rom Manager for is Fix Permissions and I usually do that from Recovery as well.  

Thing is, I really trust Chainfire.  He has yet to put out a bad product that I have seen.  Everything I use of his just simply works... (Chainfire = SuperSU....)

Mobile Odin, livelogcat, etc... he is simply the man when it comes to root...  But that is an opinion...  I like the look of SuperSU over superuser as well... just pops more to me...

:-)

#7 Jezz_X

Jezz_X
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:34 AM

View Postonealvideo, on 29 August 2012 - 04:13 PM, said:

While I love the work Koush does, I would recommend you not use Rom Manager on a daily basis... Things just don't go good for newbs when they utilize Rom Manager.  I recommend doing things in recovery... About the only thing I use Rom Manager for is Fix Permissions and I usually do that from Recovery as well.  

Thing is, I really trust Chainfire.  He has yet to put out a bad product that I have seen.  Everything I use of his just simply works... (Chainfire = SuperSU....)

Mobile Odin, livelogcat, etc... he is simply the man when it comes to root...  But that is an opinion...  I like the look of SuperSU over superuser as well... just pops more to me...

:-)
I kind of have to agree on this as well, while its a nice tool its really something that's way too powerful for including in default (always wondered why it was) and can cause lots of issues if miss-used but its not my choice I guess :)

#8 onealvideo

onealvideo
  • Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:08 PM

Actually you can remove it.  If you know how... it is in the system\app folder.  If you use root explorer or some file management app that has root permissions you can remove it easily.  You can also use ADB to do it.

Here is a handy guide for you

http://wiki.cyanogen...title=Barebones

You will see that under Remove it says YES.  That means you can remove it from the rom without any issues. (unless you have an app that also relies on Rom Manager... such as Rom Tool Box etc...

#9 Jezz_X

Jezz_X
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:11 AM

Yeah I am well aware of the ability too remove stuff my point was more about with the growing popularity of CM across the android platform and among new users and first time flashers, its a pretty dangerous app to have loaded by default onto a device. I would equate it with the having root enabled by default (that they changed recently)

And on the other side of the coin people who do need it can easily go and install it from the market and still get 100% of the same functionality

#10 onealvideo

onealvideo
  • Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:33 PM

I agree. Just stating that it is removeable.

I am not a ROM manager fan.  I use adB for most of my modding.

That or recovery....