Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Newly Created Files And Directories Disappear From My Cm9 Hp Touchpad After Reboot

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 enodrano

enodrano
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:01 PM

Newly created files and directories disappear from my CM9 HP TouchPad after reboot
  • I boot to ClockWorkMod
  • Go to Mounts and Storage
  • Select Mount USB mass storage
  • From my PC (Windows 7) I open the TouchPad drive
  • In the TouchPad drive I create new directory
  • I then copy files from my PC to new directory on TouchPad
  • On the TouchPad I select unmount USB mass storage, and then I reboot the TouchPad
  • Once the TouchPad has finished booting I opened Astro File Manager
In Astro File Manager, the newly created files and directories are nowhere to be found.
The same thing happens if I create a new directory in Astro File Manager. It will remain there until I reboot, then it disappears.
It does not matter if I mount USB mass storage before I boot (ClockWorkMod) or after I boot (ICS OS)
The following actions have not helped:
  • Fixing permissions in Rom Manager
  • In Terminal Emulator:
# su <enter>
# mount -o remount rw /mnt/sdcard <enter>
I also have an issue uninstalling apps. Once I reboot the apps show back up again. Not sure if it is a related issue or not.

#2 Nevertells

Nevertells
  • Members
  • 1133 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:28 AM

Don't know if this will help, but, when you finishing creating copying via your PC, do you right click the TouchPad drive letter and eject it?  Yes you also need to unmount it in cwm, but you did not say you were ejecting it in Windows Explorer.

On your TouchPad, have you gone to settings/storage, selected the three dots in the upper right corner and then usb computer connection and put a check beside Media Device(MTP)?

After doing this, stay in CM and connect your TP to your PC.  In windows explorer, look for cm_tenderloin in the device list, it should be towards the bottom.  Expand it and the next level.
You should see the SD card contents.  Try creating and copying that way.  Using MTP does not require ejecting or dismounting anything.  Just unplug the usb cable when done.

BTW, what version of Windows are you using?  If it's XP, you may get an error the first time you connect in MTP mode.  On the TP, go to settings/developer options and uncheck Android debugging and try plugging in again.

#3 kevinv

kevinv
  • Donators
  • 138 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:21 PM

Did you try Nevertell's suggestions?

Here are a few more things to try:

Since you're comfortable with the command-line, try creating a directory by hand.  e.g.:
# mkdir /mnt/sdcard/test
When you reboot, is this directory still there?

Also, try running this command:
# dmesg
It'll spit out a bunch of mostly meaningless junk, but look and see if there are any messages about I/O errors.  I'm wondering if your internal storage might be going bad.  I hope not; that would be bad news for your tablet.

#4 enodrano

enodrano
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:13 PM

Nevertell's suggestions did not help. I can mount mass storage from ClockWorkMod or from inside ICS. I was not ejecting from Windows 7. I tried as suggested but I still get the same results.

# mkdir /mnt/sdcard/test produces the same result. Directory disappears after reboot.

# dmesg does not generate any i/o errors

Another symptom is that installed apps that have downloaded updates will re-download the same updates again after a reboot.
It seems like I have enough rights to create directories and files, download and update apps, etc. It’s just when I reboot I lose all the changes.

#5 Nevertells

Nevertells
  • Members
  • 1133 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:41 PM

View Postenodrano, on 02 October 2012 - 07:13 PM, said:

Nevertell's suggestions did not help. I can mount mass storage from ClockWorkMod or from inside ICS. I was not ejecting from Windows 7. I tried as suggested but I still get the same results.

# mkdir /mnt/sdcard/test produces the same result. Directory disappears after reboot.

# dmesg does not generate any i/o errors

Another symptom is that installed apps that have downloaded updates will re-download the same updates again after a reboot.
It seems like I have enough rights to create directories and files, download and update apps, etc. It’s just when I reboot I lose all the changes.

I think it's time for a clean installation.  That means running ACMEUninstaller and starting over.

Edited by Nevertells, 03 October 2012 - 05:43 PM.

#6 enodrano

enodrano
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:28 PM

Tried ACME Uninstaller, it runs fine without errors, but never actually removes CM9. Everything is back after a reboot. I also tried from the Linux Root in Novaterm to delete the CM partitions. It looks like they get deleted but come back after a reboot. I can even format the SDCARD from windows and everything looks like it goes away but returns after a reboot. HP WebOS Doctor does not help either.

Through my research I have found others with this issue as well. It is believed to be a hardware issue with the flash memory. Some have sent there Touchpad’s back to HP for warranty repair but those with CM9 get theirs return unfixed unless they pay a $240 service charge because of the 3rd party OS. I only paid $150 for the tablet originally. You can get a Nexus 7 16GB for the service charge price.

#7 Nevertells

Nevertells
  • Members
  • 1133 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:26 PM

View Postenodrano, on 05 October 2012 - 01:28 PM, said:

Tried ACME Uninstaller, it runs fine without errors, but never actually removes CM9. Everything is back after a reboot. I also tried from the Linux Root in Novaterm to delete the CM partitions. It looks like they get deleted but come back after a reboot. I can even format the SDCARD from windows and everything looks like it goes away but returns after a reboot. HP WebOS Doctor does not help either.

Through my research I have found others with this issue as well. It is believed to be a hardware issue with the flash memory. Some have sent there Touchpad’s back to HP for warranty repair but those with CM9 get theirs return unfixed unless they pay a $240 service charge because of the 3rd party OS. I only paid $150 for the tablet originally. You can get a Nexus 7 16GB for the service charge price.

Don't know how many others you have found with this issue, but in my time, I have not seen this. Time to move on the a new Google Nexus 7 with JELLY BEAN!  YEAH!!!!!!!!!

#8 kevinv

kevinv
  • Donators
  • 138 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:18 PM

View Postenodrano, on 05 October 2012 - 01:28 PM, said:

I also tried from the Linux Root in Novaterm to delete the CM partitions. It looks like they get deleted but come back after a reboot.

How did you try to delete the CM partitions?  Do you mean that you used the lvremove command?

You might also try re-formatting the "SD card" (media partition) from the novaterm command-line.  I have not tested this, but I think the commands would be something like this:
# umount /media/internal
# mkfs.vfat /dev/mapper/store-media
# mount /media/internal

It's sounding like a hardware problem, though...