Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Wireless Causing A Reboot Loop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gigazelle

gigazelle
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Twitter:gigazelle
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC G2
  • CM Version:
    9-20121003-UNOFFICIAL-vision
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

Hi friends!

I've been using CM7 on my G2 for well over a year now, and yesterday out of the blue it decided to crap out on me by going through a perpetual reboot cycle. It started by throwing the error 'Sorry! Application Settings (in process com.android.settings) is nor responding' While I was in wifi settings. The reboot cycle ensued.

The stuff that I've tried in order:
- Wiped cache partition - did nothing, still perpetual reboot
- Factory reset - fixed the perpetual reboot, until i tried enabling wifi again. Performed another factory reset to stop the perpetual reboot.
- Ran vision_wipe_efs-signed.zip as posted here: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1044992 - Wipe was successful, did not affect wifi errors
- Ran Vision_Radio_12.62.60.27_26.13.04.19 as posted here: http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=970809 - Install was successful, did not affect wifi errors
- Updated to latest stable build CyanogenMod-7.2.0-vision using Recovery: Update was successful. Good news is that it solved the perpetual reboot. Bad news is that the wifi still doesn't work. It tries to turn itself on, then 5-10 seconds later turns itself off again. Sometimes it throws the error mentioned above, but at least I don't get any perpetual reboots.

It appears wifi is the only aspect of my phone is broken; unfortunately it's also one of the most-used functionalities I use. If anyone has any feedback or suggestions they would be much appreciated!

Additional information on my phone:
Model number: HTC Vision
Android version: 2.3.7
Basband version: 12.62.60.27U_26.13.04.19_M
Kernel version: 2.6.35.14-cyanogenmod-g295e82f android@portatile #1
CPU info: ARMv7 Processor rev 1 (v7l)
Mod version: CyanogenMod-7.2.0-vision
Build number: GWK74

Thanks!

Edited by gigazelle, 01 November 2012 - 09:31 PM.

#2 Xeogin

Xeogin
  • Members
  • 120 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC T-Mobile G2
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod-7.2.0-vision
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

Try deleting some of your saved connections. I travel a lot and I've had to delete some about every 6-8 months to insure operation since 7.0. I hope that works for you, but if not, try updating the RIL, running a "fix permissions" and deleting the dalvik cache.

#3 gigazelle

gigazelle
  • Members
  • 3 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC G2
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

Thanks for the reply. When attempting to connect to wifi, there are actually no connections listed. When I started having issues, they randomly disappeared, which might be a contributor to the problem. Fixing permissions and wiping the delvik cache did not affect the issue. I've wiped pretty much everything I can think of aside from the SD card, however removing the SD card altogether produces the same issue. I am however not 100% convinced that my saved wifi locations have been cleared, and that there's a potential that they are what's contributing to the issue.

I just upgraded to the unofficial CM9 build, hoping that would resolve my issue. Performed a factory reset and wiped /system/. This version reboots twice when attempting to enable wifi. So weird. Everything else is working great, just like before.

Is there any sort of dump I might be able to obtain when it crashes, or is there a location that I've missed clearing the saved wifi locations?

#4 gigazelle

gigazelle
  • Members
  • 3 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC G2
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:43 PM

Also if a moderator happens to come across this topic, the issue is not isolated to the Stable Mod. If someone could move the thread to the appropriate location would be awesome.

#5 dev.anubis

dev.anubis
  • Members
  • 3 posts
    uk - United Kingdom
  • Device Model:
    Motorola Droid 4
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Other

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:17 PM

Hi

I've also come aross the problem today.

After a long time of tinkering I managed to get my phone to boot and stay up by quickly unlocking and turning off WiFi in the settings. It still reboots once, but afterwards remains up with wifi off.

If I turn on wifi after that it is fine, I can scan, connect to networks, enable and disable as much as I want.

But the next time I reboot the phone it enters the loop agian if wifi was left enabled.
The loop seems to be caused by wifi being active as Android loads...

Phone details:

Model number: HTC Vision / G2 / Desire Z
Android version: 2.3.7
Basband version: 12.28b.60.140eU_26.03.02.18_M3  (I have not changed this for some time)
Kernel version: 2.6.35.14-cyanogenmod-g295e82f android@portatile #1
Mod version: CyanogenMod-7.2.0-vision
Build number: GWK74

#6 Petsk

Petsk
  • Members
  • 1 posts
    fi - Finland
  • Device Model:
    HTC Desire Z (G2)
  • CM Version:
    7.2.0 stable
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:48 PM

Well great. I installed cyanogenmod 7.2.0 stable on my G2 (HTC Desire Z) on saturday (I had the HTC firmware until then). But until today I hadn't used wifi. Today I enabled wifi and everything was fine except that the Z couldn't find a local network. So I changed the number of channels to 13 and the network was found. The Z couldn't connect to the network, instead said "network is disabled". Then I decided to reboot. And that's when it started. The phone gets to pin code screen and randomly after about 10-30 secs the phone reboots. And then again and again after a while at the pin code screen. It stayed up long enough for me to turn the wifi off at the settings but still no use, the reboot loop continues.

Things I've tried:
- I have checked that currently the wifi is disabled
- Factory reset in clockworkmod (didn't work)
- Re-flashing the cyanogen 7.2.0 stable (stayed up for about 30 minutes, then rebooted by itself) without any additional software installed (except google apps, of course)

Edit:
Tried:
- Flashing latest CM 7 nightly (didin't work)
- Flashing the stock ROM (from CM wiki) PC10IMG.zip in hboot -> NOT CRASHING!

Additional software info (with stock ROM):
- Radio/baseband 12.28b.60.140eU_26.03.02.18_M3
- Android version: 2.2
- Kernel: 2.6.32.21-gbfa36d9 htc-kernel@and18-2 #1
- Build number: 1.34.707.3 CL273326 release-keys

How could I debug this further? Logcat and dmesg didin't show anything odd at the time of the reboot, at least to me.

Edited by Petsk, 13 March 2013 - 09:12 AM.