Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

[User Guide] Cyanogenmod 10 And 10.1 - V6 Supercharger+Modified Service.jar For Android 4.1 And 4.2 Jellybean

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 meteorrock

meteorrock

Nook Color Devs

• Donators
  • 1012 posts
  • Twitter:#!/cyanogen
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook color
  • CM Version:
    CM-11 - UNOFFICAL - encore | Kitkat | Android 4.4
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:41 PM

This mod for the services.jar is kind of lengthy but I will try to simplify it from the link below. Make sure you have TWRP or clockworkmod installed as an option on your nook color to the eMMC so you can get into recovery mode. I applied this mod running cyanogenmod on eMMC on the nook color so I am not too sure this will work with cyanogenmod on the SIM card, but you can try. This mod is for those using a Windows OS on their work computer or laptop.

Posted Image <<<<<< Give me my supercharged CM 10 and CM 10.1!! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image  

< METEORROCKS'> extended guide to apply the V6 supercharger script with a modified services.jar to get 100% percent supercharged on your CM 10 and CM 10.1 nightlies using Android 4.1 and Android 4.2+ Jellybean. Make sure you read this link here first to get up to speed. http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1869663..... Credit to ~zeppelinrox~ and ~Pepcisko~ for their work on the scripts and in the XDA developers forums, all I have done is to try to simply the guide process on the nook color for others.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Download the apps "SManager" and "Busybox" for your nook color through the "playstore." These are free apps.  You will need these apps to apply your V6 supercharger script and to mod your services.jar.  I used this script here. Download the script to the ROOT of your SIM card on your nook color through your browser. This is the link for the "V6_SuperCharger_for_Android-update8.sh.txt" http://techerrata.co...-update8.sh.txt

2. On your nook color run this script with the app "SManager" (Script manager with a file manager app) as a SU (Superuser). It is the skull and crossbone emblem on top. It will turn green giving you SU access. Make sure the option in this app is set to " as script" within the options of "SManager."

3. Click on your V6 supercharger script in the file manager within "SManager" to run it. OR click RUN within that app after choosing the V6 supercharger script that is labeled.  I used the options to bulletproof my launcher with aggressive 2 OOM settings, you can choose your own OOM memory and launcher settings if you like within the running script.

4. Do not reboot your nook color at this point like you did before with CM 7 for this script. Just choose the option to exit out of this script.  NOW hook up your nook color via the USB cable to your Windows OS computer or laptop. IF you do reboot now you will not be supercharged, since Android 4.1 Jellybean, aka CM 10 and Android 4.2+ aka CM 10.1 needs to have its services.jar modified for the V6 supercharger script to work.

5. Download the "jellyscreampatcher.exe" at this link here to your Windows OS desktop. Make a folder for this purpose on your windows OS and rename it to a "jellyscreampatcher."  Here is the link for that download. It is a patch to modify your services.jar to get fully supercharged for CM 10 Android 4.1 Jellybean or CM 10.1 Android 4.2+ Jellybean.  It is named "JellyScreamPatcherV6_0.9.0.6.7z" http://dev.pepcok.in...erV6_0.9.0.6.7z

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

6. Unzip this zipped file into your "jellyscreampatcher" folder on your Windows OS desktop. I used the WINDOWS OS app "Winrar" for this. Or use "7 zip," another file uncompress app for the windows OS.

7. Note the unzipped folders and the "camel" icon that unzips. You will notice a framework folder that appears after unzipping. Do not delete any of those files within the main file. You will need those other folders with their tools inside of them for later.

8. Now on the nook color hooked up to your Windows OS via the USB cable, use the "SManager" apps file explorer option to navigate to the /system/framework/ folder on your eMMC (internal memory) to find the services.jar. Or on your SIM card, however you are running cyanogenmod on your nook color.

9. COPY this file (services.jar) to the ROOT of your SIM card with "SManager."

10. Now COPY over this same file (services.jar) from the ROOT of your SIM card onto the Windows OS desktop. Put this file into the framework folder (yet another different framework folder on your windows OS that was unzipped earlier, remember?) that was unzipped in your "jellybeanpatcher" folder earlier.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11. Now run your Jellyscreampatcher.exe by clicking the camel icon that was unzipped in this folder above. A black box CLI (command line interface) on your windows OS will appear. It will be a black box. Follow the instructions inside of this black box and choose your settings you want. Use the online option [o] to fetch the optimized values for your services.jar. We are going to "cook" (modify) the services.jar that is inside the framework folder on your Windows OS. Have internet access ready!

12. For this one step while running the "jellyscreampatch" script in your CLI there will be the option to choose a deodexed ROM or odexed ROM, choose the DEODEXED ROM for your nook color cyanogenmod build. It's a DEODEXED custom ROM on the nook color.  Keep following the prompts in that black box.   If you follow the instructions closely while running this script on your Windows OS you will see code run in your black box and a line prompt saying you are finished. BE PATIENT. This took me a good 5 to 10 minutes to "cook" my services.jar.  Close your CLI on your windows OS.

13. Copy over this "NEW" modded services.jar from the framework folder inside of your "jellyscreampatcher" folder on your windows OS to the ROOT of your SIM card on your nook color. NOTE which services.jar is the new one! Before this though, you can delete the copied OLD services.jar that is on the root of your SIM card from earlier with the "SManager" file explorer if you want. ( Check the permissions for the date and time for the modified services.jar with a file explorer if you need to.)

14. Now unconnect your nook color from your Windows OS via your USB charging cord. You will no longer need USB access to your Windows OS for your nook color.

15. With "SManager" click on your NEW services.jar and choose to now COPY this file with the included file manager.  Navigate back to your /system/framework/ folder on your nook color and find the ORIGINAL services.jar that is inside of your /system/framework/ folder on the nook color, its the file you copied to the ROOT of your SIM card earlier. You will now try to REWRITE your services.jar in the /system/framework/ folder with the NEW "MODIFIED" services.jar. Click on the services.jar until you get an option to OVERWRITE. BE CAREFUL at this point, one mistake here and you will bork out your custom ROM. ( If you are unfamiliar with the "SManager" options see at end of guide.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

16. After rewriting the services.jar with SManager, go to the "ROM manager" app on your cyanogenmod and reboot your nook color with clockworkmod into recovery mode.

17. Choose to wipe dalvik cache within recovery and also to fix permissions within recovery. NOW you can reboot your nook through clockworkmods recovery mode.

18. PROFIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. To make sure you applied your new modded services.jar correctly, rerun the V6 supercharger script with "SManager". It should now tell you're SUPERCHARGED and your launcher settings. If not, try again!  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~Guide help in part by......~~~~~~~~
http://www.linuxchix.orgPosted Image~~~~~~~~~                Posted ImagePosted Image

Good luck guys. :) Feel free to copy this help guide anywhere if you like and make any text changes for it. NO permission needed. :)

~~UPDATE~~ to Step 15: Make sure you look through the options of "SManager" first guys, if you are having trouble overwriting your services.jar with that app. I got 3 emails on this. Set that app to Browse as ROOT. Make sure /system is set to RW and NOT RO , RW being READ/WRITE and RO being READ ONLY. Use that "Set directory" tab in that app as soon as you get to the /system/framework/ folder while moving your services.jar. A  ""DANGER!!"" dialog box will appear saying you can brick your device overwriting. Select brick. After you overwrite the services.jar check the permissions on it with this app.  You should note the date and time. Its should be the day you modded it!!!

~~UPDATE~~ Jan. 25th, 2013. I noticed the free "SManager" apps interface has changed slightly along with the options. I have not tried the new "SManager" app yet from the playstore, if that app has stopped being able on overwrite the services.jar, let me know in PM! I will look over that app again here in the next few days to see if it still applies to this guide. Hopefully it still works on overwriting the services.jar you will need. Would the author of that app remove overwrite?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I still experience slight lag on opening apps with my CM 10 nightly 10-24, for a few seconds and with the CM 10.1 nightlies. But I am not getting all of the lags with the force closes and wait dialog box and hangs, black screens, dead nook colors, ect.  everyone is reporting up in XDA at the moment. Hopefully this mod will combat those issues for now.  With some time with the cyanogenmod nightly builds getting rebuilt every night by cyanogenmod it should start working better.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Feel free to ask any questions below about how to apply this script and I will get back to you. Need help? Just ask.

#2 Phoenix Rising

Phoenix Rising

Nookie Grl

• Donators
  • 129 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod 11.0 nightlies, Android Jellybean 4.4 | Elite Developers Helper || Superuser
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:56 PM

I am going to bump this for you meteorrock. Such a useful guide. :)

Posted Image

#3 meteorrock

meteorrock

Nook Color Devs

• Donators
  • 1012 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:12 AM

LOL big enough pic in the forums here sissy?

#4 Guest_kjnelan_*

Guest_kjnelan_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

The only problem I see is that I no longer see my Nook.  My wife fell so completely in love with it that she appropriated it after I put all that hard work into it.

With your first update, setting /system to RW solved my issue.  Of course, now that I don't have my Nook anymore...  So, jumping into the Nexus 7 next.  I'll pop in now and again when the wife needs her newly moded Nook looked at...  ;)

Thanks for a great tutorial meteorrock!!!!

#5 Steve Saunders

Steve Saunders
  • Members
  • 68 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    7.2 stable
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

Meteorrock - thanks for the guide. It was much easier to follow than the one provided by the developer ;)\

One thing I did note, is that I didn't have to perform step 15 - using 'online' mode, the patcher pushed the modified services.jar back to my Nook.  BTW, I'm running on an SD card, so that does work.  I was suspicious that it hadn't really worked (pushing the jar), but when I rebooted the Nook (clearing dalvik and regular cache) and reran the V6 Supercharger script, it declared the system was not 100% supercharged instead of 50%.

Many thanks!

Steve

#6 meteorrock

meteorrock

Nook Color Devs

• Donators
  • 1012 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:17 PM

No problem Steve. Glad to of helped.

The author talks about "PATH variables" and other linux terminology forgetting that most users are not familiar with those terms. I just learned about them just a few months ago and remembered others are not up on those kind of terms. He has forgotten the most basic rule on writing up guides for others, which is not to assume others know as much. Simple as, as simple does. :)

Developers forget this, you just have to remember who is using android right now? You have grade school children, moms, and others without any knowledge of file management, and other terms on a computer or tablet..

There are faster ways to do this in the CLI (command line interface)  or the terminal with just a few commands, but you have to be familiar with path variables and what the CLI does. Some are just scared of the CLI, thinking they will do something wrong in there. Old habits die hard.

#7 ryog

ryog
  • Members
  • 15 posts
  • Device Model:
    nook color
  • CM Version:
    nb 142
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:34 PM

Thanks for posting this, I wouldn't have gotten 100% supercharged without it.  I ended up doing it both ways, using jellyscreampatcher to patch the service.jar once in online mode, once offline (had to redo it).  The second time for some reason the online method didn't work, so had to do it offline.  Your explanation is clear and easy to follow, and I wouldn't have found this method buried in the wild and crazy v6 thread at xda.

#8 meteorrock

meteorrock

Nook Color Devs

• Donators
  • 1012 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:22 AM

Bumping this. Dont hate meh. :) I want others to see this guide, hopefully it will help them out.

Posted Image

#9 newellj79

newellj79
  • Members
  • 130 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    nook color
  • CM Version:
    cm7 nightly 8
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:19 PM

I would really like to get this working on my NC.  I even install a windows 7 virtual machine on my Ubuntu box to make it happen.  The problem is when I try to run the script after I select the scrolling speed it errors out with "/storage/sdcard0/V6_SuperCharger_for_Android-update8.sh[1261]: syntax error: 'for' unmatched"

any ideas?

thanks...

edit.... cm10.1 rc4

Edited by newellj79, 06 June 2013 - 08:20 PM.

#10 meteorrock

meteorrock

Nook Color Devs

• Donators
  • 1012 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:05 AM

Try to delete and reinstall that V6_SuperCharger_for_Android-update8.sh file and see if that clears up that problem. Don't forget to reboot your nook color first.

Could be just a corrupted download. I would start there and see if you can get it to apply. Did you apply the modified service.jar from your Windows OS virtual machine and rewrite that file with the "SManager" app from the playstore? Do NOT forget to install the app "busybox" from the playstore also on the nook color running cyanogenmod to make that script work correctly.

Usually most errors like that will be an user error. You can look over this thread here for the V6 supercharger script for more info. http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=991276

Pic below related. What the script looks like upon running it as SU (superuser) on another device. It works the same on the nook color.

You can just apply the speed script alone for a 50 percent speed boost too if you did not want to fiddle around modding your services.jar for Jellybean Android 4.2+ on your nook colors cyanogenmod build.

Posted Image

#11 John Norman

John Norman
  • Members
  • 7 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    CM10.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:39 PM

Have you tried Auto-patcher?  http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=2243247   Most folks I know use it for adding the TabletUI patch, but also supports several other patches such as those needed to get V8 running...

#12 meteorrock

meteorrock

Nook Color Devs

• Donators
  • 1012 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:00 AM

View PostJohn Norman, on 15 June 2013 - 06:39 PM, said:

Have you tried Auto-patcher? http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=2243247 Most folks I know use it for adding the TabletUI patch, but also supports several other patches such as those needed to get V8 running...

Thanks for the heads up on that "mod" and the link for it. I haven't tried it yet. That could be an easier way for others on getting that V6 supercharger script up and working on JB. :)

Posted Image

#13 baker2gs

baker2gs
  • Members
  • 5 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    Cyanogenmod 10.0
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:14 PM

Hey, I'm stuck on step 11, it keeps saying "waiting for device". I've tried to install the ADB drivers on my Windows 7 64bit machine and it keeps saying that MTP USB Device driver was not successfully installed. I assume I need to get this straightened out and it will find the device in step 11, correct? Any suggestions?

#14 Phoenix Rising

Phoenix Rising

Nookie Grl

• Donators
  • 129 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod 11.0 nightlies, Android Jellybean 4.4 | Elite Developers Helper || Superuser
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:28 AM

Just purge that MTP dependency

View Postbaker2gs, on 27 July 2013 - 09:14 PM, said:

Hey, I'm stuck on step 11, it keeps saying "waiting for device". I've tried to install the ADB drivers on my Windows 7 64bit machine and it keeps saying that MTP USB Device driver was not successfully installed. I assume I need to get this straightened out and it will find the device in step 11, correct? Any suggestions?

Just purge that MTP dependency and reinstall it from the apt get, we assume you are using linux? Just try this on your VM using a windows OS with the terminal in that enviroment.

The dependences for your nookie to install files on linux is at this link here. Use the *kio MTP* for the nookie ;=) http://forum.cyanoge...inux-using-kde/

#15 baker2gs

baker2gs
  • Members
  • 5 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    Cyanogenmod 10.0
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

Hey thanks for the reply, I got it to work eventually. I rebooted the device and somehow it worked. I'm on Windows 7 64bit.