Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Solved: How To Access Internal Storage From Bootloader And/or Adb..?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SmokeyMaverick

SmokeyMaverick
  • Members
  • 8 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC Incredible
  • CM Version:
    CMod7
  • Recovery Image:
    Stock

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

Hello all,

I've been researching/playing all morning to try and bring my phone back to life.. still not there.  Some background...

I woke up this morning and my phone was on the fritz.  It started showing "Low disk space" last night before I hit the sack, but I just passed out - had no time to deal with it.  Woke up, and it wouldn't connect to the cell network at all (grey status indicators).  On top of that, anything I opened force closed on me immediately.

Some dets:
Phone:  HTC Incredible
ROM:  CM7

After googling around on the internets, I found the issue, from this thread and this one.  Appears some app has gone outlaw-ish on my phone (see what I did there?) and has just started spewing lots of data/logs to some /data/data internal storage location.  The threads suggest clearing my cache and moving apps installed on my internal storage to my MicroSD card.  K, sounds like a great idea, but when I tried booting up my phone, it just gets locked into the opening CM7 splash screen of old fat Cy on the skateboard with the circular arrow going around.  Ok - next step - start up in the HTC bootloader.  
Bootloader header:

INCREDIBLEC XC SHIP S-OFF
HBOOT-0.92.0000
MICROP-0417
TOUCH PANEL-ATMEL224_16ab
RADIO-2.15.00.07.28
Jul 23 2010, 18:06:51
Below the header, I see these options:

HBOOT

<Directions to navigate the bootloader menu>

FastBoot
  Recovery
  Clear Storage
  Simlock
  Factory Reset
I tried at this point, before selecting any of those options, to plug my phone via USB to my PC.  I was hoping this way, I could just quickly access the phones internal storage, blast away some data from the /data/data location, and be on my way.  But the phone's storage (nor the MicroSD storage) displays as it usually does when I plug in my phone.  Granted, when I plug in my phone it's usually running and I select "Debug USB" to see the storage - but I can't do that as I can't boot the phone.
Anyone have any idea on how I could access my internal storage from the bootloader?
Oh ya, and I've tried the bootloader options already - not much help - here is what happens:
  • FastBoot:  Screen just flashes quickly white, then just redisplays the Bootloader.
  • Recovery:  This should open up my ROM Manger (ClockMod guy) in recovery mood - but all it does is flash a white screen with "HTC Incredible" and then just redisplays the bootloader again.
  • Clear Storage:  This sounds like a great option considering my problem and what I think will fix it - but when I select it, it just does the same thing as the Recovery option:  flash a white screen with "HTC Incredible" and then just redisplays the bootloader again.
  • Simlock:  checks SD FAT32 init - says OK.  Then says "255:  Not key-card!!"  "Process done, reboot device?" - if I select Yes, just goes back to stakeboarding Cy stuck inside a circular moving arrow.
  • Factory Reset:  Does same thing as Recovery and Clear Storage - flash a white screen with "HTC Incredible" and then just redisplays the bootloader again.
I put my MicroSD card into a card reader, and made sure it had enough memory - it has 1.3GB open.  But I think the issue is the internal storage is filled and I need to clean it out - but how to get to it?  When I selected Fastboot, some message flashes very quickly - I video taped it so I could see what it was saying.  It was trying to load some image of a ROM (named PB31IMG.zip) - so I renamed my CM7.zip to that file name of PB31IMG.zip to trick the bootloader.  It worked - kind of.  Now instead of a "Image not found!" message that flashes by before returning to the bootloader, the message says "Heap size full!" message - which just goes to support my thesis further that I need to clean up the internal storage.

But how?

I've read up some about adb and installed it/run it.  I've started it as a server, and I have the HTC Incredible plugged into laptop via USB (and it's still in the bootloader screen as thats all I can get to).  When I run the command "adb devices" - it shows List of Devices:  then nothing.  So adb can't see my phone.  I know when the phone is running normally I have to select that it be connected by USB for debugging - but how do I do that from the bootloader?

Any help is greaetly apprecaited - thanks in advance all.

UPDATE I:
Followed this forum post to install Android Universal USB drivers that'd work for Android Incredible.  Successfully installed them, but when I still plug in the phone from the bootloader screen into PC via USB, nothing pops up for me to navigate the internal storage.  How do I mount the internal storage?

UPDATE II:
I keep reading up on how to have adb connect to my device (which I think if I can get that to happen, I can clean out my data/data folder..) - and in all the writeups, it says my my phone has to be in USB Debugging mode.  However I can only get to the bootloader screen, so that's not an option...so....?

Edited by SmokeyMaverick, 26 January 2013 - 10:30 PM.

#2 SmokeyMaverick

SmokeyMaverick
  • Members
  • 8 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC Incredible
  • CM Version:
    CMod7
  • Recovery Image:
    Stock

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

I figured out how to get my phone back in business.  Instead of playing around with the HBOOT menu and trying to delete files from the internal storage via adb, I went back to something I tried yesterday, but with a twist.

HBOOT kept trying to access some PB31IMG.zip ROM file that it couldn't find.  So I renamed my CM7.zip ROM to match that file name - and then when I HBOOTed, it found the file but reported there wasn't enough heap space to move forward.  Today I found a stock HTC Froyo ROM, renamed that PB31IMG.zip, and was able to get phone working, at least with the stock HTC build.  This thread's last post helped me out.

Now I'll just have to re-root and install CM7 again, but wanted to close this thread down and post my solution in case anyone else ever stumbles upon a similiar issue.