Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

[PRJ] The Unbricking Project

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Viralblack

Viralblack
  • Members
  • 520 posts
  • Twitter:Viralblack
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    DS|Vibrant
  • CM Version:
    Bionix 1.3 Voodoo OC
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 21 September 2010 - 04:39 AM

So, after TWO (Just managed to unbrick vibrant three lol ) bricks and a lot of research ive learned one thing. Samsung i9000 and its variants are tempermental and VERY easy to brick beyond odin or recovery.

With that being said, im tired of creating doorstops with my expensive and awesome phone, dispite this flaw. So with that in mind im creating this project.

The concept of this project is to offer a semi-public and reliable method for unbricking a wide variety of phones. The concept is I will be purchasing a JTAG Box (RIFFBox) that has the ability to direct flash phone memory to recover from a brick. The cost of the box is $150 USD and is proven to fix the bootloader and other problems. With the bootloader intact I would be able to flash a recovery stock image and get the phone back to square one. There would be a donation system in place and easy fast shipping so that cyanogen users could get their phones fixed without worrying about what theyll do if they brick. Phones that would be supported under this project are the following:

Samsung:
  • Samsung_B7330
  • Samsung C5510
  • Samsung F500_mdm
  • Samsung G810_mdm
  • Samsung G810_PDA
  • Samsung i450_mdm
  • Samsung i450_PDA
  • Samsung i550_mdm
  • Samsung i550_PDA
  • Samsung i710
  • Samsung i740_PDA
  • Samsung i718
  • Samsung i718_PDA
  • Samsung i780
  • Samsung_i780_PDA
  • Samsung i8510_mdm
  • Samsung i8000
  • Samsung i8320
  • Samsung i8510
  • Samsung i8910_mdm
  • Samsung i8910_PDA
  • Samsung i900_mdm
  • Samsung_i900_PDA
  • Samsung i9000
  • Samsung G810_PDA
  • Samsung M7500
  • Samsung M7600
  • Samsung m8910
  • Samsung S3310
  • Samsung S3370
  • Samsung S5230
  • Samsung S5560
  • Samsung S5600
  • Samsung S7070
  • Samsung S7350
  • Samsung S7350i
  • Samsung S8000
  • Samsung S8300
  • Samsung S8500 (Wave)
  • Samsung T919
  • Samsung U700
  • Samsung U800
  • Samsung U900V
  • Samsung z240
Toshiba
  • Toshiba G910
ZTE Modems:
  • ZTE MF112
  • ZTE MF622
  • ZTE MF626
  • ZTE MF627
  • ZTE MF628
DAEWOO GPS Devices:
  • Daewoo DPN3500
Huawei Modems:
  • Huawei E1550
HTC
  • HTC Diamond
  • HTC Topaz (Diamond2)
  • HTC Desire
  • HTC Dream Google G1
  • HTC HD2 LEO
  • HTC Magic 32
  • HTC Magic 32A
  • HTC Magic 32B
As well as the in development setup and rescue of all other variants. The idea is as follows:

You somehow brick your phone listed above, you cant return it and you dont want to spend 300-500 to replace it.
You contact me directly via submission form and let me know your phone is incoming, you ship to the location with your shipping of choice incl tracking and insurance and pay the shipping charges and fee for service (20-30 bucks so we can keep it quick)

I recieve the item and update its progress, and within 24HRs reship using USPS Express delivery, giving you back your phone within 3-5 days (average)
You have your stock phone back within roughly 7 days from when you shipped it, depending on how fast you shipped it out. Depending on location you could bring the phone direct on appointment, or arrange overnight shipping both ways for a 2 day turnaround at most.

Simply put, an unbricking project that would give access to users to be able to revive their phones, as there currently really isnt even a service ive found thats doing this anywhere, and services like this for older phones is to an unknown person and upwards of 100 USD. While this has a potential to be something that generates income in theory, I took down the donation link, this is simply here as an update to the project that I am currently funding money and time into. If anyone feels like donating knowing that fact, please feel free to PM or hit me on GTalk. Im sure people could use a get out of jail free card for their brick in the future ;)

Credit to takato23 for his finding the JTAG/RIFFBox information.

Edited by Viralblack, 27 September 2010 - 10:59 AM.

#2 TheGoodAir

TheGoodAir
  • Members
  • 132 posts
  • Twitter:GoodAir15
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    T-Mobile Vibrant
  • CM Version:
    Bionix 1.4
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 21 September 2010 - 05:07 AM

Very generous of you, Viral.  I commend you for your initiative and ideas, as well as all you contribute to this forum.

Edited by exclusive1515, 21 September 2010 - 05:08 AM.

#3 rocketbilly

rocketbilly
  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • Device Model:
    |4|
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 21 September 2010 - 05:36 AM

Brilliant idea!

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

#4 Nitrowolf

Nitrowolf
  • Donators
  • 12 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC Sensation
  • CM Version:
    Changes daily
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 21 September 2010 - 05:57 AM

I don't want to rain on any parades, but having been down similar roads in the past, I can say recovering electronic devices from bad flashes is an extremely labor intensive endeavor, especially when dealing with phones in unknown conditions and different models.

Recovering a device is never the same twice, even if you have two devices that have gone over the edge in the same way, there's always something different about them that requires you to hunt and peck until you make it work.  You may fix a device, you may not and you've just wasted several hours.  One or two of these is fine, but when you're staring down the barrel of yet another wasted two hours, your motivation to do this starts to wane until you finally give it up all together.

Just sayin' :)

#5 Viralblack

Viralblack
  • Members
  • 520 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    DS|Vibrant
  • CM Version:
    Bionix 1.3 Voodoo OC
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:03 AM

Very true with straight JTAG, but the RIFFBox preloads the necessary configurations. It is actually easier then the standard JTAG box from what ive seen in the research.

I really wouldnt suggest it if a number of the devices I listed I researched and are very much able to be recovered.

#6 ragedracer1977

ragedracer1977
  • Members
  • 42 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Vibrant
  • CM Version:
    Bionix 1.3 Voodoo OC
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:00 AM

That makes me happy!  Good on you VB.  Although I hope I never have to send you one.   ;)

#7 Viralblack

Viralblack
  • Members
  • 520 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    DS|Vibrant
  • CM Version:
    Bionix 1.3 Voodoo OC
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:39 AM

View Postragedracer1977, on 21 September 2010 - 07:00 AM, said:

That makes me happy!  Good on you VB.  Although I hope I never have to send you one.   ;)

Truth. Ill update as I get the hardware here, I have to buy the new vibrant this week, so maybe next or two ill get the device.

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!! Proof that being stubborn is for the win.

After about 70 different combinations and attempts, I got the stock image to flash to the phone, it boots and after the boot animation chokes, it does go into recovery but cant flash or format the data partition.

HOLY SUCCESS BATMAN! After trying about literally 50 times to flash it, I noticed that it only flashed when it wanted to, sometimes yes sometimes no. So I stubbornly kept trying the froyo ROM in Odin and eventually it just did it! Followed the process and got it done! Now to reinstall everything >.>

Edited by Viralblack, 21 September 2010 - 08:50 AM.

#8 Krylon360

Krylon360

Nook Maintainer

• Developers
  • 207 posts
  • Twitter:Krylon360
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    CM10
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 21 September 2010 - 03:40 PM

nice man. From what I've been hearing, a new JTAG driver will be coming out for the SGS as well.

might have to pick up one of these boxes

#9 dasunsrule32

dasunsrule32

I love Android!

• Donators
  • 147 posts
  • Twitter:dasunsrule32
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    LG Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    CM-10.1 Nightly
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 21 September 2010 - 04:10 PM

View PostViralblack, on 21 September 2010 - 07:39 AM, said:

Truth. Ill update as I get the hardware here, I have to buy the new vibrant this week, so maybe next or two ill get the device.

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!! Proof that being stubborn is for the win.

After about 70 different combinations and attempts, I got the stock image to flash to the phone, it boots and after the boot animation chokes, it does go into recovery but cant flash or format the data partition.

HOLY SUCCESS BATMAN! After trying about literally 50 times to flash it, I noticed that it only flashed when it wanted to, sometimes yes sometimes no. So I stubbornly kept trying the froyo ROM in Odin and eventually it just did it! Followed the process and got it done! Now to reinstall everything >.>

What method did you use?

#10 KeasbeyChay

KeasbeyChay

Resident Evil Junkie

• Donators
  • 42 posts
    af - Afghanistan
  • Device Model:
    HTC Vision
  • CM Version:
    CM7 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 21 September 2010 - 05:51 PM

I'll support with a donation, drop me a pm as to where to donate

#11 Viralblack

Viralblack
  • Members
  • 520 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    DS|Vibrant
  • CM Version:
    Bionix 1.3 Voodoo OC
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:07 PM

If you want to donate to the project I threw this link to paypal,
and just for reference so I dont sound like im trolling for donations, the threads more about the project of creating an unbricking system for those of us who like to be guinea pigs lol. I want people to know what im thinking, and if people are thinking what im thinking I think we should think together >.> and create some sort of service (lots of thinks, couldnt resist)

What method did you use?

They said the only way that they had figured to get out of that loop was to flash Froyo, let it error out, then repartition flash stock vibrant. I was flashing in odin and it would get stuck at cache.rfs write and wouldnt continue. So, being stubborn I tried repeatedly to make it go, different combinations, etc. I found the most reliable combination was to open oden, plug the phone in with the battery out, hold all buttons, put the battery in, wait till the screen flashed off, let go of power and it would pop into download and odin would pick it up. Took me three or so tries but I got it to flash, then again with the other flash back to stock JFD I had to keep trying repeatedly. Eventually I saw my home screen and I did a little cheer at 5AM.

#12 robotfactory

robotfactory
  • Members
  • 56 posts
  • Twitter:robotfactory
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    |2|0|
  • CM Version:
    CM 6 Nightly, Vibrant rooted stock
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:01 PM

Would this involve desoldering chips or is this box magic enough to do it via usb?

#13 Viralblack

Viralblack
  • Members
  • 520 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    DS|Vibrant
  • CM Version:
    Bionix 1.3 Voodoo OC
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:39 PM

View Postrobotfactory, on 21 September 2010 - 08:01 PM, said:

Would this involve desoldering chips or is this box magic enough to do it via usb?

No chips, but there is a section on the PCB that you can connect the device to pin by pin and propigate the memory directly via a process not unlike EPROM flashing.

#14 grg83

grg83
  • Members
  • 3 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung AT&T Captivate
  • CM Version:
    Cognition 2.1.2
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:06 PM

Viralblack,

Thanks again for getting that Captivate "How To" guide going.

Do you still plan on getting this device and offering support to those with a bricked phone from the list above? I have a bricked (at least I think it is bricked...) Rogers HTC Magic 32A that I would certainly like to have reborn. Just wanted to check in on what your plans were for this.

Thanks.

#15 Viralblack

Viralblack
  • Members
  • 520 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    DS|Vibrant
  • CM Version:
    Bionix 1.3 Voodoo OC
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:23 PM

Well, Im in IT so I use my main and off rigs for work as I work from home, but I reciently purchased a tablet (slate) PC running windows XP that will be strictly for this project, also have about 55 bucks in the paypal so far towards it (I just chipped in another 50 this pay) maybe next month at the latest?

I really think this would be an awesome tool for us to have, and would DEFINITELY make people a lot more comfortable with modding their phones if they knew there was a safety net.

I have confidence that itll have a working box within 60 days at the absolute latest, probably no later then 30 days from today have it ordered.

#16 BikerJared

BikerJared
  • Members
  • 61 posts
  • Twitter:BikerJared
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Vibrant
  • CM Version:
    Bionix
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:58 PM

My phone appears to be a hardware-locked phone. I can't get into download/recovery mode without first booting the phone and using ADB to restart it.

I don't know much about this sort of thing and I was wondering if the tools that you're buying would have potential to unbrick my phone if I managed to kill it and couldn't access recovery/download mode.

Thanks

#17 Viralblack

Viralblack
  • Members
  • 520 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    DS|Vibrant
  • CM Version:
    Bionix 1.3 Voodoo OC
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 26 September 2010 - 11:04 PM

View PostBikerJared, on 26 September 2010 - 06:58 PM, said:

My phone appears to be a hardware-locked phone. I can't get into download/recovery mode without first booting the phone and using ADB to restart it.

I don't know much about this sort of thing and I was wondering if the tools that you're buying would have potential to unbrick my phone if I managed to kill it and couldn't access recovery/download mode.

Thanks

Basically the JTAG forces the information directly into the flash memory, rather then via the USB cable it connects via pins on the inside, on your physical PCB

Short Answer, yes, this has the potential to bring just about any phone back from the dead.

#18 Auzy

Auzy
  • Members
  • 27 posts
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S
  • CM Version:
    dunno
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:49 AM

View PostViralblack, on 21 September 2010 - 04:39 AM, said:

You contact me directly via submission form and let me know your phone is incoming, you ship to the location with your shipping of choice incl tracking and insurance and pay the shipping charges and donation for service (20-30 bucks so we can keep it quick)
I think perhaps you are confusing fees and donations (a donation means it's optional). There is a huge difference...

Whilst it's a good idea, there are a few things for people to remember:
  • Other developers who accidentally brick their phones will probably be required to pay the fee too.
  • Because of the number of devices supported, this will generate a lot of profit, so the donations are being used to start a business.
  • Realistically, it's US only anyway.

So, it sounds more like a for-profit business than a community project honestly. For that reason, I question the value of donations towards this specific project, especially since there are alternatives listed at the RIFF Boxes website already.

But that's just my opinion..

#19 Viralblack

Viralblack
  • Members
  • 520 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    DS|Vibrant
  • CM Version:
    Bionix 1.3 Voodoo OC
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:53 AM

View PostAuzy, on 27 September 2010 - 09:49 AM, said:

I think perhaps you are confusing fees and donations (a donation means it's optional). There is a huge difference...

Whilst it's a good idea, there are a few things for people to remember:
  • Other developers who accidentally brick their phones will probably be required to pay the fee too.
  • Because of the number of devices supported, this will generate a lot of profit, so the donations are being used to start a business.
  • Realistically, it's US only anyway.

So, it sounds more like a for-profit business than a community project honestly. For that reason, I question the value of donations towards this specific project, especially since there are alternatives listed at the RIFF Boxes website already.

But that's just my opinion..

Long story short, Im not paying for your shipping and handling. Without guidelines, systems get abused ;)

Its not US only, as the idea while I was on GTalk trying to help takato23 unbrick, who isnt in the US.

Im really not fishing for donations, Its something ill be doing out of my own pocket anyway. Straightforwards, i've purchased two vibrants and just picked up another laptop just for projects in modding ive been up to. Word of mouth, I get asked to unlock and mod phones, around 5 a week, and they offer 50 bucks a phone and drive to me. I am thinking of expanding this beyond mods and into bricks, and with the list of phones compatible its just kind of a given.

The donations arent the point of the post, looking at giving an update and for input into an open project im working on. Hell, id post my workings on the Android x86 project, but I didnt think anyone would want to hear about Froyo on my netbook lol

EDIT: I removed the donate link from the post, I wouldnt want the wrong idea being passed along. Im far from a capitalist in design.

Edited by Viralblack, 27 September 2010 - 11:02 AM.