Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Not As Easy As Advertised - Heimdall Step Not Working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rguttkuhn

rguttkuhn
  • Members
  • 1 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy SII
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:35 AM

OK so I followed the instructions here: http://wiki.cyanogen...CM_for_hercules

Laptop: Ubuntu Linux 12.04 64 bit
Phone: Galaxy SII TMO

Downloaded recovery image: recovery-clockwork-6.0.2.7-hercules.img
Downloaded the ROM and copied it to an empty SD card. (Never got to using it though)
Downloaded heimdall: heimdall_v1.4rc1_x64.tar
This tar extracted to a binary file "heimdall" - no extension. The file's permissions were set to exectuable. But nothing executed. Not via double clicking, not via terminal. "Command not found" was all I got. So here I am - the first step of the instructions already not working. Great.
This "heimdall" file was not accepted by the ubuntu software center either.
So I found deb files of the heimdall 1.4 suite. Installed, booted the phone into download mode and ran the command in the instructions. Said success. I did not get any blue bar on the phone though as promised in the instructions.
Next reboot of the phone has me stuck in "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again."
Can't get into download mode. Can't get around it.
Rather disappointed that I tried this. Seems like my phone is bricked.

Any suggestions?

#2 bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal
  • Administrators
  • 12912 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    10.2 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:25 AM

How could it show as command not found if it is there? It sounds like you were either in the wrong directory, heimdall didn't have the proper permissions (no execute), you typed it wrong (case-sensitive), or your distro doesn't have the current working directory listed in its PATH variable (you would need to type ./hemidall).

And with it showing that error, you are still in download mode. I would try again with the heimdall linked to in the wiki. If you can't get it to work, provide me with the printout of the following commands ls -la and echo $PATH along with the output of the heimdall command.

#3 hosef

hosef
  • Members
  • 4 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S2 SGH-T989
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:08 PM

I believe I have the same issue. I downloaded Clockwork Mod as it said in this page: http://wiki.cyanogen...CM_for_hercules, and I installed Heimdall by following the instructions for Debian based distros(as I am running Linux Mint 14) here: http://wiki.cyanogen...mpile_Heimdall. I then went through the process of installing ClockworkMod, but there was no blue bar  on the phone as the page said there would be, and now the phone is stuck in Odin Mode and I can't do anything with it.

#4 hosef

hosef
  • Members
  • 4 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S2 SGH-T989
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:22 PM

Ok, I fixed it. The Heimdall version that the instruction page tells us to use does not acctually work with the SGH-T989. For anyone else, use this version to flash ClockworkMod: git://github.com/jamiejackson/Heimdall.git  I found this here:http://mulad6.blogspot.com/2012/09/getting-heimdall-to-work-with-sgh-t989.html

Edited by hosef, 17 April 2013 - 11:23 PM.

#5 bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal
  • Administrators
  • 12912 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    10.2 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

Can you post this issue on the wiki issue tracker using the link "Report a wiki problem" that is found on the wiki? This will alert the wiki gurus to the issue and they can look into updating the instructions.