Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

How To Update Bootloader, And Do I Need To Do This?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mitcharf

mitcharf
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Twitter:mitcharf
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S3 AT&T (d2att)
  • CM Version:
    CM 10.1 RC2
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:17 PM

I have an AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 (SGH-I747). I got it last Fall, rooted it and unlocked it, and installed CM10. When the CM10.1 nightlies became available, I moved up to those. I had no trouble with any of this.

When the cm-10.1-20130514-NIGHTLY-d2att.zip nightly was released, I tried to update to it, but the update failed with an assertion about the bootloader. I dismissed this as possibly just a bad nightly build, but when the same thing happened with the next nightly build, I began to suspect that it may be something else.

I looked at the changelog for the first nightly build which failed, and I found what I believe is the culprit:
http://review.cyanog....org/#/c/37696/

It looks like the bootloader assertion was added in that nightly build, and it is designed to make sure that the phone has a recent bootloader level on it. My phone reports its baseband version as I747UCLH9, which my research indicates is not the latest level.

So my assumption is that I need to update my bootloader to a more recent level. However, I'm not sure how to do this. I've Google, searched through these forums, and looked through the wiki, but to no avail. I apologize if this is a total noob question. I try not to ask something unless I've had no luck figuring something out on my own. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Oh, and in case it's relevant, I've got what I believe to be the latest version (6.0.3.1) of Clockwork Recovery Mod installed on the phone.

#2 mitcharf

mitcharf
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Twitter:mitcharf
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S3 AT&T (d2att)
  • CM Version:
    CM 10.1 RC2
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:20 PM

Oh, and as a follow-up question -- will updating the bootloader necessarily overwrite all of the data on the phone? It's not a huge deal to have to do a backup and restore (since obviously I'd be doing a backup anwyay prior to doing any of this), but it'd be nicer if there's a way to do it without wiping everything out.

#3 bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal
  • Administrators
  • 12912 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    10.2 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1831898 :)

And it shouldn't erase anything, but backups are always a good idea, just in case.

#4 desbaine

desbaine
  • Members
  • 2 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S3 (AT&T)
  • CM Version:
    10.1 Nightly
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:30 AM

I installed the new modem and that changed the version reported gsm.version.baseband:
adb shell getprop|grep UCDLK3
[gsm.version.baseband]: [I747UCDLK3]

The bootloader remains at the older version, though:
adb shell getprop|grep bootloader
[ro.boot.bootloader]: [I747UCALG1]
[ro.bootloader]: [I747UCALG1]

I'm quite out of my depth at this point; I don't know which of the 28 partitions on my phone need to be changed or if there's some other method to change the bootloader. Any help is appreciated!

#5 desbaine

desbaine
  • Members
  • 2 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S3 (AT&T)
  • CM Version:
    10.1 Nightly
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:24 AM

The advice in this post worked for me: http://forum.xda-dev...20#post41429620

In short, I extracted a PIT file for my phone, downloaded a stock I747 UCDLK3 firmware, extracted the various partition images, and then ran several Heimdall commands in sequence, restarting download mode each time. The PIT file was extracted by Heimdall while in downoad mode. The firmware is just a ZIP with a TAR archive inside; the interesting bits are in the TAR archive. To get the phone back into download mode without showing the charging screen, I found I had to press and hold volume down, home, and then power, waiting for the screen to blank. Once the screen blanked, I had to count out five seconds and then release the power button while maintaining my grip on the other two buttons. Once the warning screen appeared, I then let go of the other two buttons and pressed volume up to enter download mode.

The sequence of Heimdall commands I ran was:

heimdall flash --no-reboot --pit ../2013-05-17.pit --ABOOT aboot.mbn 
heimdall flash --no-reboot --pit ../2013-05-17.pit --RPM rpm.mbn 
heimdall flash --no-reboot --pit ../2013-05-17.pit --SBL2 sbl2.mbn 
heimdall flash --no-reboot --pit ../2013-05-17.pit --SBL3 sbl3.mbn 
heimdall flash --no-reboot --pit ../2013-05-17.pit --TZ tz.mbn 
heimdall flash --no-reboot --pit ../2013-05-17.pit --MODEM NON-HLOS.bin 

After restarting a final time, I was able to flash the latest CM 10.1 nightly.

#6 RayKraft

RayKraft
  • Members
  • 2 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S4 (SGH-M919)
  • CM Version:
    Stock
  • Recovery Image:
    Stock

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:03 AM

I'm having the same issue as that posted by mitcharf, only for the US-spec T-Mobile SGH-T999 Galaxy S3. The "solution" posted by bassmadrigal looks very straightforward, but desbaine claimed that more effort (which I'm not clear about details) was required.

In short, is there a clear method for upgrading a bootloader for the US T-Mobile SGH-T999 Galaxy S3 to allow for CM-10.1 installs?

Thanks.

#7 akhil.myteam

akhil.myteam
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Twitter:AkhilMyteam
    in - India
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S 3 (AT&T)
  • CM Version:
    CM 10
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:27 PM

I found new baseband zip file here: http://forum.xda-dev....php?p=41503727

You can flash this using Odin as PDA file. I tried it and successfully updated to new baseband and bootloader.

#8 RayKraft

RayKraft
  • Members
  • 2 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S4 (SGH-M919)
  • CM Version:
    Stock
  • Recovery Image:
    Stock

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:12 PM

akhil.myteam, on 21 May 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

I found new baseband zip file here: http://forum.xda-dev....php?p=41503727

You can flash this using Odin as PDA file. I tried it and successfully updated to new baseband and bootloader.

That's an attractive, low fuss, option for AT&T GS3.

For my T-Mobile GS3, unless I find a similar bootloader package, the other option appears to be nandroid backup,  flash the latest stock Jelly Beam ROM, re-install CWM, and restore nandroid backup.

#9 dstruct2k

dstruct2k
  • Members
  • 1 posts
    ca - Canada
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S3 I747M
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:12 PM

bassmadrigal, on 17 May 2013 - 01:32 PM, said:

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1831898 :)

And it shouldn't erase anything, but backups are always a good idea, just in case.
I appreciate the link to the modem thread, but I've specifically modified everything posted to include ONLY the modem and not affect the bootloader or any other partition on the device. I've put up a bootloader thread for I747s here: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=2321310

#10 bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal
  • Administrators
  • 12912 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    10.2 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:04 PM

dstruct2k, on 12 June 2013 - 05:12 PM, said:

I appreciate the link to the modem thread, but I've specifically modified everything posted to include ONLY the modem and not affect the bootloader or any other partition on the device. I've put up a bootloader thread for I747s here: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=2321310

Thanks for the new link.

#11 unstopable72

unstopable72
  • Members
  • 3 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    S3 Sprint D2spr L710
  • CM Version:
    CM RC2
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:02 PM

Having same issue as OP but the above links do not have Sprint S3, where do I find the Bootloader/baseband for a sprint S3?