Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

How To Install Custom Rom On Sony Ericsson Xperia X8?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Jc0110_*

Guest_Jc0110_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:57 AM

The custom ROM that suits my phone, Sony Ericsson Xperia X8 is update-cm-7.1.0-X8-signed.zip.
1. How to successfully install it on my phone?
2. Does installing this ROM on phone lead to any problem? I asked about this because I have read quite a lot of posts about the problems faced by the users after installing it.

#2 bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal
  • Administrators
  • 12912 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    10.2 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:46 PM

1. If you checked out the wiki for your device, it would've pointed you to this thread for installation instructions.

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1254225

2. I don't know what problems you've been reading about, but as far as I know, everything should be working. According to http://stats.cyanogenmod.org, there are over 50,000 people running CM on their X8, so it was littered with problems, I think there would be a ton more posts on it.

#3 Guest_Jc0110_*

Guest_Jc0110_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:11 PM

bassmadrigal, on 23 July 2013 - 01:46 PM, said:

1. If you checked out the wiki for your device, it would've pointed you to this thread for installation instructions.

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1254225

2. I don't know what problems you've been reading about, but as far as I know, everything should be working. According to http://stats.cyanogenmod.org, there are over 50,000 people running CM on their X8, so it was littered with problems, I think there would be a ton more posts on it.
But can I install it using xRecovery? This is because xRecovery was already installed in my phone when I was rooting. And xRecovery seems to take simpler steps to do so.

#4 bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal
  • Administrators
  • 12912 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    10.2 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:50 PM

If your device is like most other Sony devices (which I think it is), you need to flash the boot.img which contains both the CM kernel and recovery. If you don't flash it, the phone may not boot due to not having the CM kernel on the device.

#5 Guest_Jc0110_*

Guest_Jc0110_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:25 PM

I should tell you that I had rooted my phone by using Super One Click and successfully made it. And the last step was to install a custom ROM. I then searched many custom ROMs but CyanogenMod was the one attracted me the most because it is a Jelly Bean-based ROM. Is CyanogenMod 10.1.0 codebase (based on Android version 4.2.2) compatible with Sony Ericsson Xperia X8? I'm sorry for asking so many questions because I'm a newbie. :)

#6 bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal
  • Administrators
  • 12912 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    10.2 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:35 PM

Unfortunately, CM only offers CM7 as the latest official version for your device, and that is based on Android 2.3 (Gingerbread). This is because of the age of your device and limitations of the hardware. There is an unofficial port of CM 10.0 (based on Android 4.1) that they modified to work with your device. According to the thread, it is should still run great.

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1837273

#7 Guest_Jc0110_*

Guest_Jc0110_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:46 AM

The installment of the custom ROM you suggest requires an unlocked bootloader. Is unlocking the bootloader of my phone risky?

#8 bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal
  • Administrators
  • 12912 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    10.2 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:57 PM

It depends on what you mean by risky. There is almost no chance of bricking your device (there is always a chance of something crazy happening like a power spike, but the unlocking process doesn't increase that chance at all). But doing so can possibly void any warranty on the device (if you still have one).