Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Dsp Manager?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 brad10281

brad10281
  • Members
  • 1 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S3
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:57 PM

Is there an official response from the Dev's about the DSP Manager only working for some apps? I got a taste of the DSP Manager in an old port of Cyanogenmod (7.x) on an old phone and loved it. I decided to put the Cyanogenmod on my Galaxy S3 mainly for this feature only to find out it doesn't work with Pandora...which is what I listen to most. I did some searching and can't seem to find much information about this, other than "it doesn't work" threads. Anyone???

Thanks.

#2 bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal
  • Administrators
  • 12912 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    10.2 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:55 PM

Apps need to support the audio effects API that Google introduced in ICS (Android 4.0). If the app doesn't support it, DSP Manager won't work with it. I'd suggest sending an email to the Pandora developers.

Does it work with e.g. Apollo though? The way DSP manager works since CM9 requires cooperation from the app side (it basically needs to enable audio effects for its audio stream), and I'm not sure e.g. PowerAmp is doing that. Apollo is definitely doing it, though.

SOURCE: https://jira.cyanoge...browse/CYAN-769

#3 pwwaring

pwwaring
  • Donators
  • 3 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Droid RAZR M
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:01 AM

I've been playing around with DSP Manager, and can't seem to get it work with any music app I have installed except Apollo.  I've tried it with Pandora, MOG, GoneMad, and even Google's own Play Music.  

Running CM 10.1 on the Droid RAZR M (10.1-20130801-NIGHTLY-xt907-skrilax).

#4 bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal
  • Administrators
  • 12912 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    10.2 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:59 PM

I know it works with Google's Play Music as I use it all the time in my car. But the other apps likely don't support the Audio Effects API. If you go to the settings of the app, it should have an equalizer option (or something similar) that when you tap it, should bring you to DSP Manager. If it doesn't have it, it doesn't support the API.

#5 pwwaring

pwwaring
  • Donators
  • 3 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Droid RAZR M
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:11 PM

Thanks, that was exactly the hint I needed - working now!  My problem was I was testing by trying to control the DSP Manager settings directly through the the settings menu rather than through the equalizer option inside the app - which didn't seem to have any effect except with Apollo.  Works like a champ now, for those apps that support it.  Now if only Pandora and MOG would add support for the API!

View Postbassmadrigal, on 03 August 2013 - 04:59 PM, said:

I know it works with Google's Play Music as I use it all the time in my car. But the other apps likely don't support the Audio Effects API. If you go to the settings of the app, it should have an equalizer option (or something similar) that when you tap it, should bring you to DSP Manager. If it doesn't have it, it doesn't support the API.

#6 idhchief

idhchief
  • Members
  • 1 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC ONE M7
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted Yesterday, 01:22 AM

I signed up on this forum just so I can respond with a solution!! It involves using an app very similar if not superior to DSP Manager. The App is called Viper4Android, click on this link to to download it. I found the app inside the google play store however it is extremely out of date so don't download it from there. This app has options that far exceed DSP Manager's abilities. I followed a youtube video that allowed Viper4Android to work with every music app, not just Apollo and it worked!!! It involves editing a few lines of the build.prop file. Note: In the video there were some lines of code he mentioned that I could not find inside the build.prop file so I added them in myself using the build.prop editor he mentioned and I had no problems however I highly suggest you make a nandroid backup before editing this file, you could softbrick your device if something goes wrong. Here's the link to the video...

https://www.youtube....h?v=CQavUOzRV6E

In case anyone is wondering, I was using my HTC ONE M7 phone for this.

Edited by idhchief, Yesterday, 01:23 AM.