Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Unrevoked/uninstalling HTC Sync

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 doumbek

doumbek
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Device Model:
    EVO 4G
  • CM Version:
    Stock
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:55 PM

Hello, all!

This may be a stupid question, but I'm a noob.

I was looking at using Unrevoked to root my Evo, so I can install CyanogenMod.

Unrevoked says "Make sure HTC sync is *not* installed!" Checked the unrevoked FAQ, and it specifies that disabling sync isn't good enough (I'm on Windows XP, if that makes a difference).

I tried to uninstall HTC sync, but the uninstall button is grayed out. I suspect I have to have a rooted device to uninstall it.

Has anyone else run into this dilemma? I thought unrevoked would be the simplest way for a novice to root the phone.

Appreciate any advice the experienced guys can offer.

#2 jarjarchared

jarjarchared
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Device Model:
    HTC Evo 4G
  • CM Version:
    Cyanogen 6.0
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:43 PM

View Postdoumbek, on 29 October 2010 - 08:55 PM, said:

Hello, all!

This may be a stupid question, but I'm a noob.

I was looking at using Unrevoked to root my Evo, so I can install CyanogenMod.

Unrevoked says "Make sure HTC sync is *not* installed!" Checked the unrevoked FAQ, and it specifies that disabling sync isn't good enough (I'm on Windows XP, if that makes a difference).

I tried to uninstall HTC sync, but the uninstall button is grayed out. I suspect I have to have a rooted device to uninstall it.

Has anyone else run into this dilemma? I thought unrevoked would be the simplest way for a novice to root the phone.

Appreciate any advice the experienced guys can offer.

I believe that when they say that Sync must be uninstalled they mean on your PC.  I had no trouble with Unrevoked rooting an unlocking.  Keep in mind though that the Hboot version that Unrevoked installs is not compatible with the latest stable version of CM.  I didn't feel like installing a new version because I want easy access to my Nandroid backups so I just flashed the newest 6.1 RC last night that doesn't require a specific Hboot.  So far so good.  Hope that helps.

#3 Endrin

Endrin
  • Members
  • 4 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC EVO
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 09 November 2010 - 11:10 PM

Yea I'm fairly sure that most everyone is now using the currently experimental 6.1 version because of the non-compatible HBOOT version. I've installed it on both my EVO and a friend's and neither of us are having any issues. Also, we seem to be enjoying far better battery life than with the stock ROM.

#4 doumbek

doumbek
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Device Model:
    EVO 4G
  • CM Version:
    Stock
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 09 November 2010 - 11:28 PM

Thanks! You were right Jarjar, it meant installed on the PC. I've successfully rooted and was running stock Froyo for the last few days. Right now I'm downloading CM 6--wish I'd thought to check here first! As soon as it's done I'll probably have to download the 6.1.

Can't wait to try it out.